Chapter 36

Xander's POV

I pace up and down the room waiting for some news. My shirt is stained with her blood and I couldn't care less what I look like. As I'm left in the waiting room I'm left with many questions. Why did she take the bullet? Why can it be me fighting for my life instead of her? Why can't I live a normal life with Natalia? Everything was starting to get back to normal but now it's back in chaos. I should have listened to her when she asked to speak to me. She didn't deserve any of this because it isn't fair.

"Excuse me." A nurse interrupts my thoughts and for a moment I'm brought back to reality.

"Do you have any news?" I ask the nurse.

"No, I'm sorry we don't have any news yet but I wanted to say that the patient has lost a significant amount of blood. Our blood bank is a little low on her blood type and we wanted to see if any of you can donate." She explains.

"What blood type do you need?" My sister asks. Both of my parents and Alizah rushed to the hospital soon after Natalia was admitted. Trina stayed behind to escort the guests home and she mentioned she'll come to the hospital. I can see why she is a good friend of Natalia's.

"We need an O Negative donor." The nurse answers back.

"I'll volunteer, My blood type is O Negative." My stepmother says.

"Thank you, ma'am, we'll head over to another room when you're ready." The nurse says.

My stepmother gets up from her chair and walks over towards the nurse but before she leaves I pull her aside which surprises her.

"Xander?" She asks with confusion.

"I-I need to talk to you," I say.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"Nothing. I want to say thank you," I say.

"Xander it's no problem," Elaine says.

"No, I mean it. I know I haven't been the best with you and dad but-" I begin.

"-Xander your the best son I could possibly have and I know how much Natalia means to you. So if there's any possibility to help you save her right now then I'm willing to help. I promise I'll be back and we can talk later." She says just as she hugs me and leaves with the nurse.

When she leaves I decide to sit down. I feel relief that something is being done for Natalia.

"You know she's right?" My father says interrupting my thoughts.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"She always treated you and your sister like one of her own. Elaine was always there for you even when you were in the hospital." He explains and I know he's right.

"I understand." I don't know what my father is getting at.

"She means what she says by helping Natalia. I have a feeling she'll be alright." My father says.

"How do you know?" I ask.

"I know a strong woman when I see one." He says.

"Like mom?" I ask but immediately I regret what I asked. "Sorry I mean-"

"-No, it's fine son your mother was very strong up until her passing." My father rarely talks about my mother because it was painful to relive.

"Do you miss her?" I assume my father never thought of my mother ever since he remarried because he rarely talked about her.

"Yes, almost every day I still think about her but you shouldn't have to worry about Natalia. She'll be okay." He says.

"I hope so," I whisper to myself.