Chapter 8: Chief Chases Tod and a Car Chase

But the next day, Copper didn't come to play with Tod and Lily.

He was being tied up with a rope around his next and was attached to his sleeping barrel.

He signed sadly as Tod and Lily came from behind the bushes and saw Copper sitting with his head hung down.

"Hi, Copper," Lily greeted softly with a concerned look.

"Hey, Copper. What happened to you? Why didn't you--?" Before Tod could ask, he and Lily saw Copper's neck being tied by a rope.

Lily kneeled down next to Copper sadly as Tod said "Golly! Your're all tied up".

"Yeah and its no fun either", Copper said sadly to his fox friend and looked as Lily with said puppy eyes. "My master saids I've got to stay home".

Lily petted Copper on his head as she said , "You poor thing".

Trying to lighting the mood, Tod was getting ready to jump on to Copper.

"Well, we can all play around here then", he said and Tod jumped onto Copper which made him bump into Lily's legs as Tod play with Copper's ear with his mouth.

"Oh, no. Now this old Chief over there", Copper explained as he, Tod and Lily turned over to Chief who was sleeping with his inside his barrel as he sores loudly which made Lily placed her hands over her ears.

"Is that him making that awful noise?", Tod asked Copper who nodded.

"He keeps me awake at night", he explained to his friends.

Tod walked toward Chief and slowly went into the old dog's barrel much to Copper and Lily's horror.

"Tod, get out of there!", Lily hissed as she dragged herself in front of Chief's barrel on her knees with Copper running behind her.

"Oh, don't go in there!", Copper yelled quietly. "He can get awful mean! He's cranky!"

But Tod continued his into Chief's barrel and was fascinated by the size of the big dog.

"Gee willikers! Is his ever big!"Tod whispered.

Both Copper and Lily looked in the barrel and saw Tod looking at Chief's ears.

"His ears ain't as big as yours, Copper", he said to Copper.

"That's not the part you gotta worry about!", Copper whispered as Lily shook her head.

Tod opened Chief's lips and saw his sharp teeth.

"Wow! Look at those teeth", he told Copper.

"THAT is the part you gotta worry about!", Copper whispered loudly as Lily nodded her heard franticly.

Chief started to move and mumbled in his sleep which made Copper and Lily panic.

"He's waking up!", Copper alerted to Tod before he got kicked by Chief's leg and landed onto Lily's legs and looked back into the barrel. "Get out, Tod!"

"Now, Tod!" Lily ordered Tod as she helped Copper.

Amused and not listening to Copper's and Lily's warnings, Tod watched Chief mumbled in his sleep.

"No. He's having a dream", he assured them. "He's chasing something".

The frightened Copper shook, crawled backwards until he bumped into Lily's knees and covered his eyes with his front paws while Lily covered her eyes as well scared for her beloved fox pet.

"I think I've caught it...Heh heh heh...It's...It's a...It's a big old badger", Chief said while dreaming.

Tod covered his mouth with his paw trying to cover his laugh. "Copper, he's chasing a badger".