Chapter 18: Amos Slade's Plan

Now all alone in a forest, without anywhere to take a shelter from the rain, Tod sat underneath the pine tree and watched all the animals heading to their warm and safe homes.

Little did Tod know, a squirrel leaped from another pine tree before he landed on a branch which caused the water fall onto Tod and made him more wet.

He shook himself dry and glared up  at the squirrel before he left to find a shelter.

While Tod was searching for a dry place, he was watched by a porcupine from his little home in a tree cave.

The porcupine watched Tod in concern as he saw the fox searching desperately for a place to get out of the rain.

On his side, Tod found a rock cave but unfortunately for him, there were a  raccoon family already in there.

Tod sadly started searching for a shelter once again.

Suddenly, the thunder strucked loudly  that cause Tod to jump and ran with fear.

When he first saw a burrow, Tod dash through it but only a second later, he was being pushed out by an angry badger named Mr. Digger.

"Hold, sonny!", the old badger yelled, "Back off!!

He glared face to face at the shaken Tod as he asked furiously, "Consard it! Where-where-where do you thing you're going?!"

"Oh, oh, excuse me! I-I-I-I was trying to--"

"You barge in on everyone's house like you own it!", Mr. Digger ranted cutting Tod off. "Tarryhootin' around them woods. Waking up folks in the middle of the night!"

The porcupine climbed down from his tree and saw the poor desperate fox being yelled at his grumpy neighbor.

Tod apologetically tried to explain, "Hey, I honestly didn't know anybody lived here and I--"

"Well, you know it now! Now, get out of my property!", Mr. Digger yelled shooing Tod away. "Go on! Beat it!"

Before the cold and wet fox could continue on finding a place to stay, the same porcupine greeted Tod with friendly manner.

"I've been watching you, sir", he said shyly. "You could stay with me if you want to".

"That's very nice of you", Tod said gratefully. He finally met a friendly animal who would offer him to stay with him.

The porcupine lead Tod to his tree as he said kindly, "Come with me."

As Tod followed the porcupine, he started to think of Copper and Lily sadly.

Meanwhile that evening, Widow Tweed drove her way back to their home as Lily (who was wet with tears) wrapped her shawl over her head and shoulders trying to stay warm from the wind.

When Lily sniffled, her grandmother wrapped her free arm arm around her granddaughter's shoulders consoling her as she kept driving toward their home.

At the same time, over Amos' home, the hunter untied Copper from his barrel to bring his dog inside his cabin before he and Copper turned and saw the widow and her granddaughter driving back.

But the one thing Amos Slade noticed the only different thing about; Tod was not in their car.

He was deep in thought as he watched them arrived at their home, got out of their car and started to head inside their house.

Before she followed her grandmother in the house, Lily looked over the hunter's land and noticed that Copper and Amos were watching them.

When she then saw Copper and Amos looking at her, she only stood there, clenched her shaking fists and frowned at them.

Now knowing everything with Tod and Copper was over, she turned away and stormed into the house with the door slam.

Now Amos realized what had happened to Tod, he turned to Copper who looked up at him.

"That little orphaned runt dropped that fox off to the game preserve.", the hunter explained.

Copper turned and gave a glare at the spot where his former human friend stood as Amos assured him, "We'll get him. We'll get him".

Amos and Copper started heading back to the house while Chief watched from a window.

Inside the cabin, with his leg wrabbed up, Chief walked over next to the stove and carefully placed his wounded leg on a pillow before he laid down on his other to rest.

"Well, now, if you gotta have a busted leg, this is a way to do it", he said to himself. "Good food, soft pillow, warm stove. Heh, heh, sure beats sleeping in that barrel."

As he started to rest, he heard the front door open and closed.

His master has brought Copper inside his cabin.

"Well, now, here comes visitors to see the anvalid", he smiled.

Chief whined for Amos' and Copper's attention.

But Amos and Copper walk passed the room and ignored him completely.

This made Chief stop whining and pounded as he got up from his pillow.

"How do you like that? They didn't even ask how I'm feeling! Hmph!"

Amos took off his coat and placed it on his chair.

When he and Copper was getting ready for the plan, they heard a loud whimper, turned and saw Chief walking over with him dragging his wounded leg getting their attention.

Copper looked at the old dog as if he was asking him 'Chief, what are you doing?'

The hunter was not having any of this.

"Chief", he scolded pointed directly at Chief's resting room, "Get back in there before I break your OTHER leg."

Chief obeyed his master as he walked to his room.

Amos then turned to his young hound and showed him a deadly and dangerous bear trab as he said to him, "Copper, Copper, look at here."

Copper saw his master placed the bear trab on the floor and opened the claws carefully.

"Now, when that fox comes straight at the wrong suspected nothing..."

As Copper watched closely, Amos showed him a stick before he moved it closer to the trap as if it's a living critter.

When the stick stepped on the trap...SNAP!!!!

Little did they know, from the widow's house, they were being watched from a bedroom window away from the hunter's cabin.

Hello guys!

I'm so sorry I've gotten back for months!
Been doing so much when it comes to the holidays, working and spending time with my friends and family.
I hope everyone is doing okay and had good Halloween and Thanksgiving!

For the next chapter will be an original chapter with Lily singing "The Next Right Thing" from Disney's Frozen II
I thought the song fits my character while she's going through a lot now
What do you guys think?

I'll upload soon!