Chapter Nineteen

Chapter  Nineteen

The world crumbled around Elizabeth as she watched William cross the threshold into the small courtyard in front of the mansion. She stood rooted to her mother’s said as she watched him make his way towards her.

He was going to say his goodbyes.

She blinked back the tears as he neared him, her heart was wildly beating inside of her chest, her breathing was shallow and she felt the world tighten around her. She swallowed the lump forming inside her throat and fidgeted with her gown when William stopped in front of her; he took her clammy hands in his and tipped her chin upward so he could meet her eyes. It took him one second to realize what state his betrothed was in, and he suddenly felt guilty when he saw the tears in her sapphire eyes.

“I promise you, I’m going to write you every day, and I’ll make sure they reach you as soon as possible, I’m sorry, love, but I can’t stay here a minute longer, I have a lot of work to attend to, all the papers are piled in my study room and I have no one to se to them.” William muttered in a low whisper for Elizabeth to hear only. “I don’t want to see you crying.” He said when he saw the first tear drop slip down her flushed cheeks.

“I-“Her voice was hoarse and fill with longing, her eyes reflected the sorrow she was in and her heart was bound to break into pieces, she still didn’t reach the point where she could accept Williams departure, she knew this day was bound to come sooner or later but she was now used to his presence under the same roof, and the thought of sitting on the dining table without his presence made her situation even worse. She lifted a trembling hand and cupped his cheek, and it was only than that that she realized how cold she was, with her freezing hand against his warm cheek. “I’m going to miss you.” She whispered and threw herself into his arms, she wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in the crook of his neck, she was clinging to him like her life depended on it.

Ironically it did.

“Love, I’m going to miss you too.” He whispered in her ear, tightening his arms around her at the same time. He didn’t want to leave her; he knew that the following fortnights would be the worst ones, for he knew that it would take him a while to function correctly. “ but I should take my leave, think about the wedding preparations, I promise time will fly by and you’ll suddenly find yourself walking down the aisle, and by then no one would be able to separate us.”

Elizabeth lightly pushed herself away from his neck to stare at his eyes. She nodded her head in agreement and tightened her hands behind his neck. “William.” She whispered his name tears gathering in her eyes again. “You have a lot of promises to hold to.” She added as she pecked him on his lips ignoring her surroundings and then rested her forehead against his, their noses touching. “And I’m going to hold to them as usual.” She whispered biting on her lower lips as she felt a new wave of tears sting her eyes.

William didn’t say a word, instead he sealed his promises with one passionate kiss before pulling away and hugging Elizabeth tightly against him, but their moment didn’t last for too long because Elizabeth’s parents stood patiently behind them, awaiting the moment the love birds would pull apart. “Elizabeth, I guess it’s time that William takes his leave, he has a long distance to travel and the earlier he goes the better, for the weather isn’t that good.” Her mother started but her husband was quick to silence her before she said another word because the look Elizabeth suddenly wore wasn’t a good sign and she look like she was about to start crying again.

“Love I really should take my leave.” William whispered, pecked her on the lips and gently removed her hands from his neck before taking a step back and walking towards the awaiting carriage. “I’m going to miss you. Take care.” He said waving towards her and her parents as he climbed inside the carriage. He felt devastated and suddenly tired when the carriage started moving; he turned around and opened the curtain to see Elizabeth staring at him with wide eyes filed with fear and longing waving at him, this image was to be imprinted in his mind forever.

She was rooted in her spot as she saw the carriage growing smaller and smaller until it disappeared and went out of sight, it was a miracle that she didn’t take off running behind it, although she was tempted to do so but there was something in the look William gave her when he was in the carriage that told her to stay there, to stay where she was because he was to come to her someday, he gave her an unspoken promise.

Elizabeth stood rooted to her spot with her hand still in the air, she was mindlessly waving it, her eyes were stinging from the unshed tears and her heart felt like it was breaking into pieces with no one to pick them back up. She felt sorry for the state she was in. she felt weak, helpless and lonely. Without William she was nothing at all, he was her other part and she his other.

***

Its short I know!! But at least I’m back right? That was not blackmailing… or was it? Anw I’m glad I’m back too and thank you all for waiting for this update although it took forever for me to post again…

I LOVE YOU ALL MY HUMBLE READERS!

VOTE AND COMMENT!

-ROSE <3