19. Cal

Chapter Song: Burn the House Down- AJR

She was here. That was all that mattered.

I saw her when we ran out onto the field instantly. She sat with Tyler and Riley laughing. The way she laughed made me smile like an idiot. Even if it wasn't me making her smile, I was glad that she was. She looked damn good in that beanie. I wish it were mine that she was wearing.

We'd been trying to play it cool since I stupidly kissed her. Not once but twice. It was worth it both times. I wanted to do it again and again. Kissing her made the world melt away, and all my problems disappear. She felt so soft in my arms and I wanted to keep holding her.

I just couldn't keep playing these games with myself or with her. She never deserved it. She was too good for me anyway. That's why I was so invested in this whole thing. It was motivation.

Throughout the game, I kept looking for her in the stands as if she would get up and leave. I should have been focused on what I was doing, but I just couldn't. Anytime I would look at her she was biting her nails on the edge of her seat. Her brows would be furrowed or she would ball her fists together and lean against them.

It was so cute to see how into it she was. I wish she would have been able to come to these more often. She used to come to them all the time, but then she became too cool for us. In reality, it was that she was too good of a swimmer to lose focus.

I thought of all the things I would tease her about as if I was sitting right next to her. Maybe that was how I ended up on the snowy grass groaning in pain.

I tried to get up immediately but I sucked in a deep breath and cried out in agony. I tried to twist my body over but got the same feeling. I bit my tongue to focus on anything else but the pain in my side. I needed to get up. I wanted to get up. I had to play. We had to win.

I could hear the outrage and clinking of gear further away from me. There was so much yelling. At me, at everyone around me, in the stands. It was madness. I didn't know who to concentrate on.

"McCormick how bad is it?" I heard one of my coaches ask. I responded with a groan.

"I'll grab the alternate and tell the refs that were subbing." Another one quickly said.

"No!" I gritted my teeth.

"McCormick you need to get up then," Sanders assured me. When I didn't move I heard him sigh and get up.

I overheard whispers from him and the ref although I couldn't make out what they said. I knew what they were talking about.

"I can play I can play." I groaned."I'm good!"

I placed my hands on the ground in front of me slowly pushing off. I cried out in pain but slowly forced myself up. Finally, when I stood I looked for her again.

She wasn't sitting next to Riley or Ty anymore. I kept looking through the crowd trying to find her angelic face. I sighed in relief when I spotted her. She was up against the gate gripping it if her life depended on it. I could tell she was worried. The fear was plastered all over her face. I couldn't help but smile.

I stood straight up and breathed in heavily. If I focused on my breathing I could ignore the pain. More than anything I wanted to punch the guys that checked me like that. This team was dirty alright, and I was tired of their shit. At least they got benched for the rest of the game. Even if there was a quarter left and half of our team was ready for another brawl.

After some careful consideration and a little bit of persuasion, I got everyone to agree to let me finish playing. It probably wasn't the best idea considering I was wincing anytime I moved. I couldn't, not play in this game. It was too damn important to give up now.