Chapter 24

'Daddy isn't here to protect you from me this time.
-A'

My blood ran cold after reading the note. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't move as I was frozen in place. I clutched the piece of paper in my hand, crushing it. I could feel it turning cold, freezing in my palm.

I let go of the note and it landed on the ground with a loud shatter. I was finally able to move and went to sit on the bed, hugging my legs that were against my chest. My heart felt as if it would beat out of my chest any minute now.

Someone knocked on the door. I jumped further back on the bed, freezing a section of the sheets under my hands.

"Rayna? It's Ace. Is something wrong? I heard something shatter." Ace said from behind the door.

"N-no." I could barely find words to say. "You can come in." I said. He opened the door and peeked his head in. He saw the shattered bits if the paper on the floor and walked in fully.

"What's that?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

"I-I found a note on my mirror. I accidentally froze it and it fell and shattered." He just furrowed his eyebrows even further.

"Who put a note on your mirror?"

"I'm not sure." I composed myself back up. "It said, 'Daddy isn't here to protect you from me this time.' It was signed with an A. It obviously could not have been you because I trust you would never do anything like this." I really did trust Ace. I had no doubt that he would never do something like this, even as a joke.

"We should tell Ori-"

"No!" I interrupted him. "He'll only think I'm lying. Plus, I doubt he would care anyway." He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed.

"What will it take you two to at least make up?" He asked, mostly to himself. "Fine. But can we at least tell Charles?" I shrugged.

"I don't think we should make a huge deal out of it. It scared me to the core but it could be someone playing a prank." I said. I really hoped I was right and it was someone playing a stupid prank. "Let's wait and see if anything else happens and then we can tell Charles."

"Whatever you want to do. Just let me know if another one pops up." He said while going back to the door, opening it.

"All right." I replied. "I'll see you around."

"Yup." He popped the 'p' while closing the door behind him.

I let myself fall back onto the bed, sighing. Was I really in danger or was it really a dumb prank from someone?

Isla?

W-What? She was still sniffling. I didn't know someone could hold so many tears.

Okay. Enough is enough, Isla. I don't want you crying over somone who isn't worth it. I told her sternly. I honestly don't know why she's still crying over him after all he has done.

She didn't say anything and just continued sulking quietly.

I sighed. I should probably start working in trying to control my powers. If someone really is out for me, I need to know how to defend myself.

I got up from the bed and put some sneakers on. I then put my hair up in a ponytail.

I went to open the door only to be met with Charles with his fist in the air, about to knock. He smiled as he put his arm back to his side. He looked me up and down and furrowed his eyebrows.

"Where are you going?"

"I want to go work on my powers. I'm sick of them going crazy all the time." I explained while he nodded.

"Well you can't really practice with them where people can see you as the pack doesn't know about you." I had completely forgotten about that with everything that had been happening.

"You're right." I nodded. "Do you know any fields around here where no one could see?"

It was his turn to nod again. "Yeah I do. It's kind of deep in the woods. I don't want you to be there by yourself so I'll have to stay with you. I also don't think you'd be able to get back by yourself."

I giggled. "Yeah you're probably right." I admitted. "I have a really bad sense if direction." We both laughed as we exited my room.

I waved to some of the pack members who smiled at me. That's wierd. Orion's pack members usually never paid attention to me. Could it be possible that he told them to be nice?

Charles led me to another room that was close to mine. "Hold on, I'm going to grab a bag." He held his finger up and went into the room. He came back out after a minute with two drawstring bag in his hand.

"We have to shift to get there. We'll put our clothes in these." He said, answering my unasked question.

I continued to follow him out of the pack house. When we reached the start if the forest, Charles opened the bags and layed them down on the floor so we could just place the clothes in it and pick it up. I hid behind a tree and took my clothes off. I then tried shifting, only to realize I couldn't.

Isla I really need to shift. I know you're in pain but this is important. We need to know how to defend ourselves if someone really is after us. She didn't respond and just let me shift. I thanked her and picked up my clothes with my mouth. I emerged from behind the tree and placed my clothes into the bag. Charles emerged shortly after with his ashy gray wolf. He placed his clothes in the bag. We both picked up our bag with our mouth.

Charles nodded in a different direction, telling me to follow him. I did so and we started our journey into the woods.
______________________________________

So we've finally heard from Isla after so long.

What did you guys think about the note?

So here in michigan, it's snowing like crazy.

You can see in this picture how high the snow was on the railing of the porch

You can see in this picture how high the snow was on the railing of the porch. But it's funny because it wasn't even that cold yesterday and this morning I was welcomed with -I kid you not-, probably almost a whole foot of snow. It was really pretty but cold, very, very, very cold. Everyone cross your fingers for a snow day for me tomorrow!!

Anyways I'll see y'all in the next chapter.