Dead in the Water [3]

Sam, Dean, and Phoenix approached a white church shaped like the one in Lucas's picture.

Phoe held up the picture and looked at it, comparing it to the scene in front of her; there was a yellow house next to the church and a wooden fence near the house.

They looked up at the church and crossed the street to the house.

***

"We're sorry to bother you, ma'am..." Dean spoke to an old woman, Mrs. Sweeney. "...but does a little boy live here, by chance? He might wear a blue ball cap, has a red bicycle,"

"No, sir." Mrs. Sweeney replied "Not for a very long time. Peter's been gone for thirty-five years now,"

Phoenix looked at a picture of Peter on the side table.

Mrs. Sweeney sighed "The police never-I never had any idea what happened. He just disappeared,"

Sam pointed out to Phoe a number of toy soldiers on a table.

"Losing him-you know, it's...it's worse than dying,"

"Did he disappear from here?" Phoenix asked "I mean, from this house?"

"He was supposed to ride his bike straight home after school, and he never showed up,"

Phoe picked a picture off the mirror. There were two boys in the picture, one Peter with a bicycle. Phoenix read from the back of the picture "Peter Sweeney and Billy Carlton, nineteen seventy,"

***

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix were driving in the Impala.

"Okay, this little boy Peter Sweeney vanishes, and this is all connected to Bill Carlton somehow," Sam noted.

"Yeah, Bill sure as hell seems to be hiding something, huh?" Dean said

"And Bill, the people he loves, they're all getting punished," Phoenix said

"So what if Bill did something to Peter?"

"What if Bill killed him?" Sam asked

"Peter's spirit would be furious. It'd want revenge. It's possible,"

***

The Impala pulled up in front of the Carlton house. Sam, Dean, and Phoenix approached the house.

"Mr. Carlton?" Phoe called out. She hurried around the house when she heard a boat engine. Phoenix ran to the end of the dock "Mr. Carlton! You need to come back! Come out of the water! Turn the boat around!"

Bill ignored Phoe's pleas and kept going. The water rose up and flipped Bill's boat over. The boat and Bill vanished.

***

In the police station, Lucas was sitting in a chair, rocking back and forth.

Andrea was sitting next to him, holding a paper bag and a plastic container. "Baby, what's wrong?"

Sam, Dean, Jake Devins, and Phoenix walked in the door.

Andrea looked over "Sam, Dean, Phoenix," she stood up, putting the bag and container on her chair. "I didn't expect to see you here,"

"So now you're on a first-name basis. What are you doing here?" Jake asked Andrea

"I brought you dinner,"

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, I don't really have the time,"

"I heard about Bill Carlton. Is it true? Is something going on with the lake?"

"Right now we don't know what the truth is. But I think it might be better if you and Lucas went on home,"

Lucas looked up and whined, looking stricken; he jumped up and grabbed Phoe's arm.

"Lucas, hey, what is?" Phoenix asked as she knelt down in front of the boy "Lucas,"

"Lucas," Andrea said

"Lucas, it's okay. It's okay. Hey, Lucas, it's okay. It's okay," Phoe soothed.

Andrea pulled Lucas away from Phoenix and lead him outside.

Lucas didn't look away from Phoe.

Jake threw down his jacket and went into his office.

Sam, Dean, and Phoenix followed.

"Okay, just so I'm clear, you see...something attack Bill's boat, sending Bil-who is a very good swimmer, by the way-into the drink, and you never see him again?" Jake wondered

Dean glanced at Sam "Yeah, that about sums it up,"

"And I'm supposed to believe this, even though I've already sonar-swept that entire lake? And what you're describing is impossible? And you're not really Wildlife Service?"

Dean looked surprised.

"That's right, I checked. Department's never heard of you three,"

"See, now, we can explain that," Dean claimed

"Enough. Please. The only reason you're breathing free air is one of Bill's neighbors saw him steering out that boat just before you did. So, we have a couple of options here. I can arrest you for impersonating government officials and hold you as material witnesses to Bill Carlton's disappearance. Or, we can chalk this all up to a bad day, you get into your car, you put this town i your rearview mirror, and you don't ever darken my doorstep again,"

"Door number two sounds good," Phoenix said

"That's the one I'd pick,"

***

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix were in the Impala.

Phoe looked out the window at a sign that said:

I-43 North to Milwaukee is to the left.

Phoenix shook her head "Fuck this,"

Sam looked back at her "Phoe?" but he noticed the back seat was empty "Phoe!"