Phantom Traveler [3]

Dean was leaning back, humming to himself.

Sam looked over. "You're humming Metallica?" Sam asked

"Calms me down," Dean explained

"Look, man, I get you're nervous, all right? But you got to stay focused,"

"Okay,"

"I mean, we got thirty-two minutes and counting to track this thing down, or whoever it's possessing, anyway, and perform a full-on exorcism,"

"Yeah, on a crowded plane. That's gonna be easy,"

Phoenix placed a hand over Dean's and he visibly relaxed. "Just take it one step at a time, all right? Now, who is it possessing?"

"It's usually gonna be somebody with some sort of weakness, you know, a chink in the armor that the demon can worm through. Somebody with an addiction or some sort of emotional distress,"

"Well, this is Amanda's first flight after the crash. If I were her, I'd be pretty messed up," Sam said

"Mm-hm," Dean turned to a flight attendant "Excuse me. Are you Amanda?"

"No, I'm not," The Flight Attendant said

"Oh, my mistake,"

"Mm-hm,"

Phoe looked to the back of the plane to Amanda. "All right, well, that's got to be Amanda back there, so I'll go talk to her, and, uh, I'll get a read on her mental state,"

"What if she's already possessed?" Sam asked

"There are ways to test that," Dean went into his bag and came out with a Virgin Mary-shaped bottle of water "I brought holy water,"

"No," Phoenix snatched the bottle and gave it to Sam who tucked it inside his hoodie. "I think we can go more subtle. If she's possessed, she'll flinch at the name of God,"

"Oh. Nice,"

Phoe turned to go.

"Hey," Sam called out

"What?" Phoenix asked

"Say it in Latin,"

"I know," Phoe left again.

"Okay. Hey!"

"Tace [shut up]," Phoenix growled, causing Sam to sulk back into his seat and Dean to chuckle. Phoe made her way to the back of the plane, thumping a seat once after the plane shook.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your first officer speaking..." The Copilot announced

Amanda was fussing with the drink cart and napkins.

"Hi," Phoenix greeted

"Hi. Can I help you with something?"

"Oh, no. I'm just a bit of an uneasy flier. It makes me feel better to walk around a little bit,"

"Oh, it happens to the best of us,"

"Of course, you being a stewardess, I guess flying comes easy to you,"

Amanda laughed "You'd be surprised

"Really? You're a nervous flier?"

"Yeah, maybe, a little bit,"

"Hos is it that, being a stewardess, you're scared to fly?"

"Kind of a long story,"

"Right. I'm sorry for asking,"

"It's okay,"

"You ever consider other employment?"

"No. Look, everybody's scared of something. I just, uh...I'm not gonna let it hold me back,"

"Huh,"

"So..."

"Christo,"

"I'm sorry. Did you say something?"

Phoenix hesitated "Christo?"

"I-I didn't, I didn't..."

"Yeah, nothing. Never mind," Phoenix returned to her seat.

"Okay,"

"All right, well, she's got to be the most well-adjusted person on the planet,"

"You said 'Christo'?" Sam asked

"Sam...we're a couple hundred feet in the air, with no way of getting off until we land, do you honestly want to piss me off right now..." Phoenix let out a sigh as she felt her hands begin to burn "There's no demon in her. There's no demon getting in her,"

"So, if it's on the plane, it can be anyone. Anywhere,"

The plane shook

"Come on! That can't be normal!" Dean exclaimed

"Hey, hey, it's just a little turbulence," Sam said

"Sam, this is plane is going to crash, okay? So quit treating me like I'm friggin' four,"

"You need to calm down," Phoe told him

"Well, I'm sorry I can't,"

"Yes, you can,"

"Dude, stow the touchy-feely, self-help yoga crap, it's not helping,"

"Listen, if you're panicked, you're wide open to demonic possession, so you need to calm yourself down. Right now,"

Dean took a long, slow breath.

"Good,"

"Now, I found an exorcism in here that I think is gonna work," Sam noted "The Rituale Romanum,"

"What do we have to do?"

"It's two parts. The part expels the demon from the victim's body. It makes it manifest, which actually makes it more powerful,"

"More powerful?" Dean asked

"Yeah,"

"How?"

"Well, it doesn't need to possess someone anymore. It can just wreak havoc on its own," Phoenix explained

"Oh. And why is that a good thing?"

"Because the second part sends the bastard back to hell once and for all,"

"First things first, we got to find it," Sam noted

Dean walked slowly up the aisle with his EMF meter, getting odd looks but no readings.

Sam suddenly clapped him on the shoulder, and he jumped.

"Ah! Don't do that," Dean complained

"Anything?" Sam asked

"No, nothing. How much time we got?"

"Fifteen minutes. Maybe we missed somebody,"

"Maybe the thing's just on the plane,"

"You believe that?"

"Well, I will if you will,"

Phoenix looked up as the copilot exited the bathroom and headed towards the cockpit. As if knowing she was looking at him, the copilot turned slowly to face her. His eyes were black.