Familiarity

"How long has this been happening?"

The grip on his hand tightens and Xi Gu barely keeps the wince from showing on his face. He's sitting beside Xiang Hao Ting on the bed as Dr. Jiang tries to coax a response from the silent boy whose skin still feels too cold and clammy and pale for Xi Gu's liking.

For all that it was only roughly thirty minutes ago that Xi Gu watched him play with his friends, head thrown back as he laughed, sharp eyes crinkling at the corners, Xi Gu can't find any trace of that bright and happy boy anymore. 

It's wrong, the way he appears so... desolate with his slumped shoulders and downturned face, hair falling over bloodshot eyes and holding on to Xi Gu as if he's the only thing keeping him together. Once again, Xi Gu is helpless against the strange surge of protectiveness gripping his heart, making him want to comfort the boy, to chase away the hurt.

They had a hard time of it, pulling Xiang Hao Ting off the floor, harder still to get him to release Xi Gu. He kept shaking his head, wetly gasping no no no like he's terrified Xi Gu would disappear if he didn't hold him tight enough that he shook with the effort. Xi Gu was a lot confused and more than a little stunned even as he kept reassuring Xiang Hao Ting that he was not going anywhere. 

There's no reason, none at all that he can think of for Xiang Hao Ting to react that strongly to him. Before today, he'd never even shown any indication that he knew Xi Gu existed.

"How long have you had these attacks?" Dr. Jiang asks, tone grave. There's still no response forthcoming and he sighs wearily. "Student Xiang, please. I can't help you if you don't work with me."

Xi Gu squeezes his hand, softly calls out his name and that finally gets them a reaction. Xiang Hao Ting lifts his head, stares at Xi Gu with anguish-filled eyes. Xi Gu's heart goes out to him, grimly reminded that someone he loved likely died recently. He understood that, empathized with the pain. But Xiang Hao Ting's reaction and seeming attachment to him doesn't make the slightest sense.

Xiang Hao Ting looks down, like he's only realizing that they've been holding hands since Xi Gu helped him settle on the bed. Xi Gu looks down as well, blinks, fascinated at how their interlocked fingers fit. He catches himself before he could give in to the sudden ridiculous urge to smile like an idiot. Xi Gu is almost a hundred percent sure he's experiencing delirium from not eating for nearly 24 hours.

"Dui buqi." Xiang Hao Ting apologizes, pausing as he undergoes some kind of internal battle. His fingers twitch and then he's pulling away from Xi Gu's hold, bringing both hands to his lap, dull gaze transfixed on his open palms, seeing something that only he can. Xi Gu stubbornly ignores the disappointed hurt that practically stabs him without warning.

"Are you feeling better now?" He can't help but ask anyway, hand brushing absently against the other boy's arm, concerned eyes fixed on him.

Xiang Hao Ting stares riveted at where they're touching. Xi Gu realizes what he's doing and abruptly stops. He shifts awkwardly, not quite knowing what to do with his hands. The gesture felt as easy as breathing as if he's done it a hundred times before. 

"I'm okay." Xiang Hao Ting exhales shakily then reaches up to wipe at his eyes. "I don't know what came over me." He sniffles, straightens and tilts his head to regard Dr. Jiang, after which he turns to Xi Gu, bowing lightly. "Thank you." he says, voice rough and near-whispers. "For being here. You helped a lot. I don't know how I would have... Thank you."

Xi Gu's never felt as wanted and needed as he does in that moment. He smiles, surprising himself for the umpteenth time of how easy and right it feels to be around the other boy. "Anytime, Xiang Hao Ting."