Chapter 5

Prom

For me, Prom would never be a night of romance, it would forever be a night of friendship. A week outside of the magical night I realized no one would ask me to Prom but it wasn't just me that did not get asked, none of the Patty girls did.

"Fuck them."

Yara was militant about the affront. Perhaps she had expected to be asked, perhaps she had been shocked that no one had. It was in KFC that the plan was hatched, we had ordered an eight-piece family meal and sat around the table devouring the salty skin from the meat.

"Fuck who?" Mercy was sucking on the bone marrow much to our disgust.

"All of them. All the guys," Yara said.

Her fingers were greasy and her wild blonde curls were piled on top of her head, the coils tight and bright framing her youthful face.

"I wish no one had asked me," Rosalind said.

Oh yes. Rosalind had been asked by Elli Hart, a sweet band geek who had loved her from afar for as long as we all knew. She had been so flustered that she had moaned a yes and then regretted it since that moment. She buried her redhead into her hands each time she was reminded that she had said yes to Elli Hart.

"You should have said no," I said.

"And break his little heart?" she asked.

I don't think I would have done any differently. Despite my newfound confidence, I had yet to be properly asked out. In retrospect, Alvin didn't count, what we had a 'hook up' and nothing else.

"Girls always feel they have to protect the guy's feelings." Mercy gave her an eye roll as she mercilessly sucked on her drumstick. "What about your discomfort?"

"Elli, unfortunately, doesn't count." Yara brought the subject back. "I say fuck 'em. We go as each other's dates. Patty Girl crew arrives and the beat drops."

Her words brought the first resemblance of hope to the entire event.

"I can rent a limo, dad sent me extra money this month," Mercy said.

"Yes!" Yara brightened.

"And you need to tell Elli the truth." Mercy pointed to Rosalind. "It's not fair to the little nugget and you're going to be miserable."

"Fine!" Rosalind slumped down on the plastic booth and let out a dramatic sigh.

I felt suddenly excited. This might work, all of us arriving looking amazing as Ricky Martin played in the background. I could see it happening. My mom would also love that idea far more than having to sit me down and explain to me the mysteries of sex as if I had not already been fondled by Alvin during 7th period.

This is how we ended up piling into Rosalind's house in a cacophony of dresses, makeup, and hair. All of our moms went to help, and it was a miracle of the virgin none of us ended up with curler burns. At this point we had no idea how to apply mascara, makeup had to be redone twice, hair went flat and had to be re-curled, and stockings were finally discarded as they ripped. I had never felt prettier in my entire life; my blue dress was sparkly and had a corset showing off the curves that my body seemed to have settled on.

Yara's older sister tamed my indecisive brown curls and smoothed them until they shined. She looked me over while I put on my earrings. "Becka is going to be the surprise swan of your class, mark my words."

I couldn't handle the compliment so I blushed and denied and turned the attention to Mercy who looked above and beyond. She wore a black gown and bright red lipstick, the dress clung to all her toned curves and she seemed grown-up and sophisticated. Like she belonged someplace like New York rather than Kissimmee. Even my mother had muttered an 'ay dios mio' when she saw her but I was sure it was not in a positive manner. Seven thousand photos later we got in the limo where ginger ale awaited us for a celebratory toast. It is incredible to me how we rejoice the end of childhood and then seek it for the rest of our adulthood.