Chapter 12

Thanksgiving, 1998

My girls were home and I was finally where I belonged. We all gathered in Mercy's house and for a solid ten minutes, it was a collection of shouts, squeals, hugs, and tears. I wondered what the guys would think of this spectacle. I didn't care, Jon Ramirez could go straight to hell for all I cared. We were on the floor of Mercy's living room gushing over each other's changes.

Yara had a boyfriend, well it was a guy she was seeing, she claimed she lost her virginity to him. He was going through a divorce, he was thirty-one, and he was in the Coast Guard. Rosalind was staring at her wide-eyed.

"Thirty-one?" Rosalind gasped.

Yara nodded, quite proud of herself. Her hair was shorter, it was modern and stylish, and she was allowing her natural color to seep in. Rafael, apparently, like things more natural.

Mercy rolled her eyes. "If he claims he's getting a divorce this means he's still married."

Yara leveled her with a look. "He wouldn't lie to me. Of course, I know he's still married but he's going through a lot. I have to give him space."

I thought that was a ridiculous statement to begin with but didn't comment any further. Meanwhile, Rosalind had met a guy from Miami, he was twenty-five, and her Mom loved him. He'd come to visit her in Georgia already. They spoke often on the phone and he owned his own business.

"He looks forty." Mercy sipped her diet coke.

Rosalind let out a squeal. "He does not!"

I wasn't sure at what point to confess my adventures but listening to them now it seemed rather moot, not enough had happened, I was still pretty much as I always was. They had come back with wings and I was still trapped in my cocoon.

"How have things been around here?" Yara asked me.

I looked at each of them as I munched on my Doritos. "Oh, the same."

"Have you met any guys?" Mercy wagged her brows.

I blushed.

"You have!" Rosalind smiled.

"Well, I made a friend, Denis, he lives with a roommate. His roommate is a bartender at Club Test which is this gay club," I said. I told them about that night and how nice Case had been.

"But have you guys talked since then?" Mercy asked.

I shook my head. "I don't really have his number, I guess I can go back to Club Test."

Yara gasped, her eyes wide. "Let's ALL go!"

"Yes!" Mercy stood up and opened her arms wide. "I just want to dance and then we can all get dressed together like we used to!"

"I can't go!" Rosalind cried. "I promised my mom."

Mercy let out a frustrated groan.

"Rosalind, this is the final outing of the Patty Girls." Yara pointed at her. "And you're eighteen now."

"That doesn't matter to her." Rosalind shook her pretty head. "Plus, I don't think Wayne would like it if I went to a gay club."

"I already don't like Wayne," Yara let out a dramatic sigh and laid back on the bed.

"Oh, he's wonderful," Rosalind nodded.