Chapter 32

Victor seemed to have remembered that we had agreed on Puerto Rico but he seemed completely oblivious about the 7th-grade revelation. Yara thought it was another sign that I should confess how I felt. I disagreed. I thought it proved that from the beginning I had stamped myself as unreachable until he enjoyed me as a friend but nothing else. After all, he'd dated half our grade and lusted after Rosalind from far away for near four years.

However, there were slight changes and variations in our behavior. For starters, I noticed that when we sat in the library together our legs intimate pressed against one another. Some days I connected to him from hip to ankle. He seemed unperturbed but on those days I accomplished very little work and I longingly wondered what it would be like if he'd stretch back and rub my back. Like lovers do.

"My uncle can get me a car," he said, biting on the end of his pen. "He has a dealership."

We were in Puerto Rico planning mode and we had agreed on getting a hotel in Condado and split the cost. We were also going to do all the touristy stuff we never got to go otherwise because each time we went with family it was all about visiting family. This would be my first real fun trip to the island, and I was going with Victor. As friends.

"You should come, Yara," I turned to her. She was sitting in the library with us watching us with slick eyes.

"No, thank you." Her little smile made me glare at her. "I'm going to take extra classes to make up. You two have fun."

"We can invite Jon but then splitting the beds –"

"Jon is going with Ray to California, he told me," Yara said and I was beginning to suspect that our friends were purposively keeping themselves busy. "Oh, and Steven is also taking classes this summer."

Yup. They were completely plotting all of this. Victor looked oblivious as he shrugged his shoulders. "We'll still have fun; my cousins know all the great places to party."

"Mine too," I nodded. "I'll call Claudia, her boyfriend is a DJ in Santurce."

We had three weeks left of classes and I felt the pressure of the finals breathing down my neck, but I somehow finished my classes with all A's which granted me my Associates and guaranteed acceptance into Chicago.

"This is Becka's last week, we need to celebrate!" Jon announced.

"Where? Burger King?" Victor scoffed.

"Yes!" Jon said and the three of us agreed to lunch.

When we ambled to Victor's car Jon rushed to grab the front seat.

"That's Becka's seat," Victor said and I froze, more than a little confused even as Jon played it off.

"Yeah, I know," Jon scoffed and opened the door, theatrically offering it to me with a flourish of his hand. "My lady."

I ignored his smirk and slid into the front seat. I noticed Victor was a little down, a little quiet but I also felt blanketed by melancholy. It was all ending. The sand was at its end. Granted, we still had Puerto Rico but this, the college, the three of us, Burger King, was over. As we waited next to one another for Jon to finish ordering and flirting with the cashier I glanced at Victor.

"Last time in this Burger King," I said with a small smile.

He glanced at me and stuffed his hands into his joggers, returning my smile. "I'm sure they'll have Burger King in Chicago."

"Yes, and maybe you can come to visit, we'll hang out and visit Burger King!"

He laughed. "Ok. Sure, I'd like to see Chicago."