The One Where She Stays

I sat on the huge , comfy chair as I watched Nik drowning down another glass of whiskey. We did not talk, just sitting in front of a fireplace in silence.
I tried to say something but decided against it,since the silence was quite comfortable. 

I never liked Esther, but the fact that she wanted to kill not only me, but her sons and daughter crushed me. Nik was hurt, and that was killing me. All he wanted was to live in peace with his family, but that wasn't really possible after this.
After Esther and Finn fled, Kol and Elijah decided to leave as well, now there were just the two of us.

'' I thought you'd have gone by now.'' I heard Nik's voice. I turned around and spotted Rebakah who walked inside of the room '' Elijah's leaving. Kol's fled. Esther and Finn are gone too.'' Nik explained sitting next to me, taking my hand in his.
Rebekah looked at the drawings on the table next to her ''I hated you when I learned you killed our mother.'' she said, looking at me and then at Nik ''And I hated you for the fact that you took her place and hid that from all of us.'' she frowned a little and then walked closer to us.

''But I realize now that after a thousand years together as a family, you're the only one who never left me.'' she said, her face blank.
''Oh...Bekah.'' I stood up, smiling softly at her.
''There's something I need you to see.'' she said, turning now to Nik.

She showed us the picture on her phone. It was the picture of Elena, sitting on the floor with obvious fear on her face.
''Come to brag about your skills as a torturer?'' Nik joked as he took the phone in his hand, looking more carefully.
''Look at the images on the wall behind Elena. The Natives told the story of our family history, look at the images on the far wall.'' she said and I took a closer look at the images behind the scared girl.
''What is it?'' I asked, not understanding completely.
''A Native worshipping at the Great White Oak tree.'' she explained to me.
''And? We burned that tree to the ground.'' Nik said raising his eyebrows.
''Look at the markings that precede it. That's the native calendar.'' she said, worry on her face.

I looked at the picture taking a step back''This can't be right.'' I put a hand over my mouth.

''A White Oak tree, three hundred years after we fled back to the Old World. There must have been a sapling, a new tree to replace the old. That tree could kill us. It's not over, Nik.''

------------------------