Chapter 21

Edited 05/30/21

Meadow, watch out! Sam warned her. A bullet whizzed by her. Thankfully, it didn't hit her, but it was close. She cursed inwardly and cursed again when she heard snickers come from her pack members. She forgot they could hear her thoughts, so there wasn't a point in hiding her head cursing any longer.

These hunters are annoying, Paul complained. He was riled up and snarling at any hunter they accidentally passed by. He seemed even more upset because they had almost hurt her.

Bella had informed her dad about huge wolves roaming the woods, and her dad concluded they were the animals killing everyone. Sadly, they were wrong. Now, the pack had to deal with hunters patrolling the woods to find and kill them. On top of that, they had to deal with Victoria and some of her vampire minions. It wasn't hard to connect the multiple vampire sightings with the redhead's appearance. They tried their hardest to get to Forks, so Bella was their obvious target.

Deal with it, for now, Sam said. They'll get bored and leave us alone in time.

Yeah, well that time is long overdue, Jared said. Meadow saw the raven-haired vampire they were chasing and changed her direction. She leaped over a fallen tree and continued her pursuit. She growled when the male jumped onto a tree branch and pushed him. He propelled himself forward and farther away from her.

Having trouble, MeMe, Jake snickered. He was racing through the foliage with Embry. They were tracking down a separate vampire than her. The vampire was able to manipulate water and was harshly soaking the duo. Meadow had been shocked to learn that some vampires had gifts or superpowers. They were hard to kill already, but they just had to level up even more.

I got it, Meadow said through gritted teeth. She wasn't sure if she had it, though. She didn't know if she would be able to kill the creature. Something within her just wouldn't let her kill another living thing. She briefly wondered that if she pictured the vampire as a bug, would it be easier to kill him.

Do you need help? Paul asked worriedly. He was anxious about leaving his imprint alone; however, she needed to do this on her own. How would she gain any respect if she couldn't kill a vampire? Simple: She wouldn't. Paul was chasing a pair of vampires with Sam and Jared. They didn't know what their gifts were, but they had to have one else the trio would have caught them already. She was on her own and needed to end it quickly, else she'll get injured by the hunters.

The vampire ran until a wall of rock hindered him from moving forward. He assessed the wall, hesitating before acting. That was his downfall. Meadow leaped in the air and locked her jaws around his neck. She felt her teeth sink into his granite skin. The feeling was terrible, and she didn't want to feel it anymore, but she had to finish him off. She tightened her grip and swung her head from side to side until the appendage separated from the body.

She immediately spit out the head and looked away in disgust. Then she realized that she had to look at it. She had to finish what she started. There wasn't time to be a big baby about it anymore. She quickly but surely ripped the vampire apart and shifted to her human form to burn the body. She stayed that way so she could stay in her own thoughts. She shivered in disgust at the smell permeating through the trees and moved away from the burning body.

She stumbled upon a stream and crouched down so she could dip her hands in it and splash water on her face. She repeated the actions a few times more before she sat back and thought. She thought about the way the vampire screamed when she killed him. How desperate his face looked right before her jaws locked on him.

She also thought about the scene in which she found him. He had his teeth stuck in some girl's neck. He was greedily drinking from her and stealing her life away. Who was he to take someone's life; who was he to determine who lived and who didn't? Then again, who was she to take the vampire's life? Didn't she just decide to do the exact same thing he did?