Chapter 27

Edited 05/31/21

After school the next day, Meadow stood in the parking lot with a frustrated face. Her homeroom teacher had pulled her out of the last ten minutes of her last class to talk to her. He was worried about her future. She was graduating this year, and while she should have graduated with a 3.8 grade point average, she was now going to graduate with a 3.3. Thankfully, she had cushioned herself in her first three years of high school, but it looked like she was going to barely pass her classes this year.

She was still happy about her final grade point average, but her teacher thought she was doing a disservice to herself by "not trying." If only he knew what she had going on outside of school. If only he knew that she had to run around the reservation at odd hours during the day and night to protect everyone. If only he knew she had to deal with a prideful and stubborn Alpha, who only wanted her to follow him around and do his bidding like an incompetent being. If only he knew she was so mentally and physically exhausted that if she wasn't a shifter, she'd have keeled over.

She felt herself vibrate and a bead of sweat dripped down her face. She closed her eyes and focused on steadying her breath. She couldn't lose control now, lest she'll expose herself and the pack. When she opened her eyes, she was surprised to see Quil standing in front of her with a nervous expression. She sighed and gave him a small smile.

"I was thinking we could go to Seattle. Port Angeles doesn't have many options and since it's Friday. Is that okay?" she asked him. He nodded his head and climbed into the passenger seat. Meadow felt eyes on her and looked back to see Seth, Jacob, and Embry staring at her. She shook her head and set her mouth into a grim line. She forgot they were on Quil watching duty. Still, the conversation they had yesterday made her feel better about her decision. They wouldn't rat on her.

She hopped in the car and turned the engine on. The entire drive to Seattle, she forced herself to strike up conversations with Quil. It was awkward between the two and she was desperately trying to mend their relationship. After a three- and half-hour drive, she pulled into a furniture store and cut off the engine.

"What are we doing here?" Quil asked.

"Emily wanted to get some furniture for her backyard," Meadow answered.

"Emily?" Quil asked as he followed her through the double sliding doors.

"Sam's fiancée."

Meadow located the outdoor furniture section and walked in that direction. She looked back to make sure Quil was still behind her and caught his gaze. A wooden bench caught her eye and she walked up to it. She grabbed the price tag and winced. She thought about it and realized they would need to find a cheaper store. Emily would like something more rustic anyway. She wasn't one to revel in shiny, new things. Meadow let go of the tag and faced Quil.

"Too expensive. We'll have to find another store," she informed him. She started walking away but a hand on her arm stopped her. She turned her head and immediately noticed the troubled look on Quil's face. She sighed and sat down on the wooden bench. She patted the spot next to her and waited for him to sit before she said anything.

"You feel it, don't you," she said quietly. She made sure no one was around them before she continued by saying, "You can talk to me about it."

Quil leaned forward and covered his face with his hands.

"I just feel off," he said. "I feel so angry lately. Everything upsets me. I got into a fight with my grandpa the other day over dinner. Sometimes I shake from anger and other times I feel like my head is splitting open. What's happening, MeMe?"

He looked at her with such a helpless look that she took him in her arms. She rubbed the abundance of curls on his head and sighed as she tried to think of something to say. She shouldn't tell him; she should wait until he phases. But he was so close to phasing. He had a week, at best.