Chapter 32

Edited 05/31/21

Jared, watch your six! Meadow shouted. She ran forward and jumped on the newborn trying to kill Jared. She bit the newborn and tore off its head with no hesitation. As soon as she was done doing that, a newborn rammed into her, causing her to roll. With a curse, Meadow rolled them so she was on top and killed the newborn.

Damn leeches are everywhere! Embry said with a grunt.

They move so fast! Jared said frantically as he tried shaking off two newborns. Sam helped him out by clamping his mouth on their shoulders and throwing them off his pack brother.

Stay alert and stay focused! Sam shouted.

How you doing, Leah? Meadow asked. The russet and silver wolf was preoccupied and couldn't see the other she-wolf.

I haven't let one leech touch me, Leah said proudly. Meadow heard Paul growl and bark for help. She swiveled her head and saw Paul being ambushed by three vampires. Changing directions, Meadow ran to his aid. Before she got there, Emmett pulled the vampires off and killed one, letting Paul kill the other. Seeing one left, Meadow jumped and tore the newborn in half before she landed. She made eye contact with Emmett and nodded at him in thanks.

Are you okay, Paul? Meadow asked anxiously. You didn't get bit or anything did you?

Relax, Meadow, Paul said, I'm good. Focus on the battle.

Right, she said breathlessly.

We got trouble! Quil yelled.

What's going on? Meadow asked. Through Quil's eyes, she saw Edward and Bella being cornered by Victoria and Riley. Edward shielded Bella by placing himself in front of her and tried persuading Riley to stand down.

If they engage, attack, Meadow ordered Quil. We have to protect them. Try going for Riley first. He's your best bet.

As soon as she finished her sentence, Riley lunged for Edward and Bella. Mid-air, Quil jumped out of the bushes and latched onto the brunette vampire.

Yes! That's what I'm talking about, Quil! Jacob shouted in encouragement. Meadow saw a newborn trying to sneak up on Alice, so she raced to destroy it before it could do any harm. Alice saw Meadow running towards her and raced in her direction. Alice jumped over Meadow, causing the newborn following her to end up directly in Meadow's jaw. Sam ran by her at that moment and bumped into her hard. Meadow fell to the ground and a newborn was immediately on her.

What the hell, Sam! she yelled as she tried to fight the newborn off. It was hard to grab the vampire because she didn't have any opposable thumbs or fingers.

Watch where you're running next time, Sam said menacingly as he ran off without helping her. Tears of frustration began building up in Meadow's eyes as she realized what Sam had just done.

Meadow! Paul shouted in desperation. He was caught up with a few newborns and couldn't get to her. He tried dodging the newborns in front of him, but they wouldn't let him move forward.

MeMe! Jake shouted. He made it to her in record time and ripped the newborn off her. He destroyed the vampire before looking her over for any injuries. Then, he glared at Sam and growled.

What the hell man!

Not now, Jake! Meadow said as she shook out her fur. We'll deal with it later! Right now, we have to stay focused on the fight.

Guys, we have a problem, Seth said. There are two vampires on the Res. I'm chasing them now, but I can hear people walking nearby.

How'd they slip through? Sam asked, bewildered. You said none of them would slip through our formation, Meadow!