Chapter 39

Edited 05/31/21

Jacob rushed into Emily's and Sam's house with a look of utter frenzy. The pack was gathered together for a special occasion and were being their rowdy selves. Brady and Collin were in the kitchen with Emily and Sam, trying to sneak a cookie or two. Seth and Embry were outside setting up chairs while Paul and Jared were setting up tables. Leah and Quil were gradually taking the food outside, and Meadow was inside tidying up the living room.

He walked up to Meadow and greeted her breathlessly. He was wearing a nice shirt and his old cut-offs. His hair was gelled to his scalp, and his feet were covered with sneakers. Meadow covered her mouth with her hand and tried not to laugh at his appearance.

"Is it that bad?" he asked.

"Just be yourself," she said. She started mussing up his hair, trying to get it back to its regular look. Spotting a smudge on his face, she licked her finger and wiped the spot off. Jake groaned and swatted her hand away.

"That was uncalled for," he said.

"I don't know why you're freaking out so much," Meadow said, completely ignoring his comment. "She's just meeting the pack."

Jacob deadpanned and gave her a pointed look. Meadow sighed and waved him off.

"I get it, but she's met Quil, Embry, Seth, Collin, and Brady already."

"That just leaves all the hard ones," he muttered. She smacked him over the head with a stray magazine before she put it back in its place.

"You've already told her about phasing and the pack. She knows what to expect. Just don't hover and don't act too protective. And if Leah says anything, please don't overreact," Meadow pleaded.

"How'd you get her and Quil on good terms, anyway?" Jake asked as he looked out the window. Leah and Quil were talking to each other like they never got into an argument in the first place.

"Lots of patrol," Meadow confessed. She plopped down on the couch and patted the seat next to her. Jake sat down on the edge of the couch and started shaking his leg. She scoffed and pulled on his collar, causing him to lean back. "I'm just glad they're talking again. Two months of awkwardness is enough for me."

"Tell me about it," Jake said. "Claire's coming over, too, right? Talia will feel better if she comes."

"Claire's coming after she's done visiting with Sue. Kim is coming over, too," Meadow replied. A new scent entered her nose, alerting her to a visitor. "Speaking of Kim, she's here."

There was a knock at the door a minute later, and Jared came barreling through the house to answer it. Meadow shook her head at his antics and stood up from the couch. Jacob grabbed her hand and stopped her. She looked back at him and waited for him to speak.

"You're still doing it today, aren't you?" he asked.

"I'm not sure," she admitted. "What if he says no?"

Jake scoffed and said, "He won't. Trust me."

As soon as Jared and Kim entered the living room, Meadow departed from jake and greeted Kim with a short hug. She still didn't like showing affection, but she wanted Kim to feel as welcome as possible.

Five minutes later, Claire was dropped off, leaving Talia to be the last to show up ten minutes later. By that time, the small party was in full swing. Everyone was outside mingling and having fun. Meadow sat next to Paul with a plate full of food for both of them. Paul was eating most of the food, which didn't go unnoticed by Meadow. She glared at him and pulled the plate away from his reach. He whined and pulled it back towards him. He picked up a fry from the plate and held it in front of her mouth. She pursed her lips but ultimately opened her mouth so he could feed her.