Chapter 33

Edited 05/31/21

When Meadow came to, she was drowsy, and her body felt very fatigued. She could barely move, and when she did, a sharp pain shot through her body. She glanced around the room and noticed there was a chair sitting in the corner. Underneath her, the sheets and her pillow were drenched with sweat. A blanket was thrown atop her body and a glass of water sat upon her nightstand.

She opened her mouth to call for someone, but her voice was hoarse and dry. She cleared her throat and forced out a noise. Within seconds, her door was thrown open and Jacob was beside her. He had a guilty look on his face and met her eyes once before he looked away.

"Water," Meadow croaked out. Jacob grabbed the glass of water and helped her sip it. The cool water ran down her throat and coated her mouth with a refreshing sensation. When she finished the glass, she let out a breath of relief and rolled her tongue around. She glanced at her younger brother, wanting to say something to alleviate his discomfort but not knowing what to say.

"How do you feel?" Jake asked first. His question was cautious like he was walking on a fine line.

"I feel okay," Meadow answered. "How is everyone else? How is Leah?"

"Leah was able to handle the newborn on her own, so she didn't get hurt. Everyone's not doing so good," he admitted. His statement concerned Meadow, and, out of instinct, she tried getting out of bed. A wave of pain shot through her body, causing her to gasp and throw herself back on the bed.

"Easy," Jake warned. "Doc says you broke every bone on the left side of your body."

"How long do I need to recover?" she asked.

"A month, at most. Doc says some of the bones should heal faster than others."

"Who's in charge of the pack?" she asked quickly. "What's being done about Sam?"

"Nothing," Jake said with a scoff. "The council won't do anything because he's technically still the Alpha."

Meadow moved to get out of bed, but Jake stopped her with his hand. He pushed on her fight shoulder gently but firmly. She protested, but her cries were ignored. With a huff, she laid back on the bed. She didn't care if she was in immense pain; she needed to get out of bed and help. If Sam could hurt her so badly that she needed weeks to recover, there was no telling what he could do to the rest of the pack.

"I need to-"

"You need to rest," Jacob insisted. "We can handle him for a few weeks. Besides, it's not like we're making it easy for him. Everyone's pissed off because of what he did to you."

"He hasn't hurt anyone else, has he?"

"No," he said firmly. "We won't let him."

"How are Brady and Collin?"

"They haven't been introduced to the pack yet. That's one thing the elders are doing right," he muttered under his breath. "They want to wait until you take over. They don't trust Sam in his current state."

Meadow pondered his answers before her eyes went wide. She opened her mouth to talk but was cut off when her throat hitched. She swallowed thickly before she tried again.

"Emily. Is she okay?" Meadow asked.

"She's staying with Sue right now. When she heard what happened to you, she packed a bag and hasn't been home since," he explained. "Sam's been trying to talk to her, but Sue's been very protective of her."

Meadow relaxed. She was nervous Sam would lash out. Although it was uncharacteristic of him to be angry with Emily, he was acting out of character; he was acting like a wounded animal being cornered. Lashing out at everyone and anyone, Sam seemed more wolf than human. It made Meadow anxious.