Chapter 5

Taking her small hand gently into his, he led her to a fallen log, guiding her to sit down, sitting next to her and waiting patiently for her to talk.

Sighing, she first took a quick glance at her mate, then gazed forward, yet still aware of his every movement, blinking back the tears, "I guess...I should start at the beginning?"

Nodding his head, Austin sat quietly by.

"Five years ago, Red Moon wasn't as bad as it was now or for the past three years. The true Alpha of Red Moon, was still alive and all was peaceful and quiet. However, one morning, he and his mate were found dead in their beds. No defensive wounds, killed in their sleep. And with Ryker still being young, his uncle took over. Those who questioned the deaths of the former Alpha's, would either disappear or be killed. My parents being amongst those, who questioned the deaths, were silenced forever as a warning. And because Ryker had always been a submissive lazy wolf, his uncle was able to take over, without challenge. I'm sure that you had heard rumours in the past of Red Moon?" She stated.

Taking a moment to glance at her mate, grateful that he didn't attempt to interrupt her life story or try to console her, because if he did, she would lose the courage to carry on.

"Ryker's uncle was a dangerous person, violent and aggressive. Forcing people to unwillingly submit to his wishes, always having the upper hand, knowing where your weakness lay...using it against you, controlling you, forcing you to do his dirty work, by any means possible." She stated simply, ashamed at her past actions.

Unable to sit still any longer, Austin stood up, his back to his mate, staring unseeingly beyond the horizon, "So...what did he make you do?" He questioned lowly, tension radiating off him, his hands fisted at his sides, so many unwanted thoughts running through his mind.

Choosing to approach the subject at another angle, Selina gazed depressingly at her mate's tense form, "There were two times, that I went against my Alpha's orders and tried to save someone. The first...I was caught and beaten to a pulp. The second...I was lucky and Alpha Eli got here."

"But there is more..." Austin asked.

"Yes..." She replied, "For three years, I did nothing, I sat back and watched as innocent girls came and went. Patching them up, feeding them, ignoring their pleas for help...just doing as ordered."

Turning abruptly, he gazed down at his mate, "Why...? Why didn't you seek help or leave? Why stay...?"

Standing up, she took a firm stance, "As I said before, the Alpha found your weakness. Mine was my sister, he had her locked up, threatened vile things would happen to her, keeping me here at his command. Beating and threatening me at every opportunity, keeping me to do his bidding, no matter what it was." She stated, "She is the only family I have, Chloe is just a baby, I would not have left her behind." She implored, hoping he would understand her reasoning.

Flinching slightly, as she watched her mate turn his back to her, taking a few steps forward, away from her and not saying a word.

Her heart breaking, seeing her mate distancing himself from her, tears silently running down.

They both stood there mere feet apart, neither willing to break the silence at that moment.

Each in their own world...