Chapter 8

Selina opened her eyes slowly, trying to focus on her surroundings, confusion swirling around in her mind, wondering how she got there, not recognizing the room. The last thing she remembered, was being held by her mate in the woods.

Feeling a movement next to her, she stiffened, slowly lowering her gaze. Sighing in relief, when she noticed the small form of her sister lying next to her.

"I wondered how long you were going to stay sleeping." A familiar female voice spoke up.

Selina looked towards the voice, "Where am I? How long have I been here? Where is he?" She fired off in succession.

Mara smiled, "You are in Austin's room. Have been sleeping no more than a few hours and as to where he is...well, your mate, Austin, needed to get back to work."

Blushing at the not so subtle reprimand, "So...he told you?" Selina queried curiously.

"Not so much in words, but in his actions." Mara elaborated, "Watching him handle you, we could clearly see that there was more than someone being concerned over a pack member."

"Did he say anything else?" Selina persisted.

"Not really, only wanted to know why we were so protective of you and I told him." Mara explained, "Also requesting that I stay here with you."

"Probably afraid I'll run off..." Selina muttered.

"Nope...that is where you are wrong. He was worried that you would wake up in a strange place and stress." Mara spoke firmly.

Just then, the object of their discussion walked in, standing silently near the doorway. Mara got up and moved towards Austin, whispering something in his ear, then leaving the room.

Selina frowned slightly at their interaction, wondering what Mara had told him.

Austin walked over to the bed, "Sorry I wasn't here to keep you company." He apologised, first gazing at his mate and then at Chloe, smiling at her sleeping form.

"It's fine...Mara explained." Selina responded.

Austin frowned, "Actually...it is not really fine. Mates should take first priority..." He muttered, sitting next to her on the bed, taking her hands into his, "But because of the information you gave me, I needed to inform the relevant parties, too widen our search..."

"I'm sorry...that I was such a coward." Selina stated sadly.

"No...! I understand the circumstances..." He exclaimed, giving a reassuring squeeze, "You are not a coward...You are brave, to have stayed for so long."

Wanting to change the subject, "Are you hungry? I can order some food to be brought up." He asked, "And perhaps...if you are willing, get to know each other...simple easygoing questions."

Sagging her shoulders in relief, she nodded in agreement and they spent the next hour or so, keeping things light.

Also entertaining and feeding Chloe when she had woken up.

Later that evening, as they lay on the bed, watching TV, with Chloe sleeping in-between them. Austin was wondering how to broach the subject of the sleeping arrangements, running a hand through his hair, he sighed in frustration.

"Is there a problem...?" Selina asked quietly.

"Yes...No!" Austin blurted out, taking a deep breath, "I would like for you to stay here."

"Okay..." She responded unsurely, not knowing what else to say.

"Look...we are mates and I would feel better if you are near. Tomorrow, we can look into a place, which at least has room for Chloe." He muttered.

"So...you are not rejecting me?" Selina mumbled lowly.

"No...!" He exclaimed, standing up quickly, pacing the room, "Why would you think that?" Abruptly stopping near her, glaring down at her.

Shrinking slightly, "After I told you the truth...I thought you would want nothing to do with me."

Grasping her chin, he locked eyes with her, "We will take things slowly. I will show you, that you can trust me. But, I don't ever plan on rejecting you." He stated firmly and sincerely, "Unless...of course, you are planning to reject me...?"

"No...! It's just, I am afraid..." She cried out.

Smiling, he placed a kiss on her temple, "Let's take it one day at a time."

Getting a t-shirt from his bag, handing it too his mate, 'You might feel more comfortable in this, I'll stay here, while you use the bathroom."

Blushing, Selina took the shirt and made her way to the bathroom, deciding to take a shower, while she was there.

Austin wished he could follow his mate, but he knew he had to tread lightly with his mate, he had noticed how she flinched, which she tried to hide, whenever he touched her.

He was worried, that there was more to her life story, than what she had told him.

Moreover, he was angry at himself for not getting there sooner or protecting her from harm. Hopefully...she will come round and trust him.

So...he will not push her, even though he wanted to complete the mating bond and mark his mate. He knew...that she had been hurt and he did not want to come on, as a unfeeling brute.