Chapter 12

Growling at the annoying tone, he yanked his lips away, glaring at the offending object on his desk, wishing it would go to hell...

Temporarily sighing in relief, when it stopped ringing, only for him to frown, when it started up again, the noise filling the silence.

Knowing he had to answer, "This better be important...!" He growled out, cursing the timing of the caller, even though he knew logically that they wouldn't be calling unless it was.

Selina could feel the tension radiating off Austin, whoever was calling, seemed to be of major importance, otherwise he would not have answered.

Sitting quietly in Austin's lap, as he held her firmly, rubbing her hands up and down his arm soothingly and patiently waiting for him to end his call.

Austin ended the call, informing the caller that he would be in touch.

Closing his eyes briefly and leaning his head against his mate's, he took a few moments to compose himself.

"They have found Ryker..." He stated simply.

Selina tensed, "Have they caught him...?" She queried, fear in her voice.

Tightening his hold on his mate, "No...They just know where he is. I have to inform my brother and Alpha Eli, they will decide what our next step is." He informed her.

"So there is still a chance that he can get away again?" Selina said bluntly.

"Yes..." He responded, being truthful, "That is why I need to get this sorted out as soon as possible."

At that, he called his brother Leo and spoke to Seth, Alpha Eli's Beta, informing them of the situation at hand.

"Now we just wait," Austin informed Selina, "They will make the necessary arrangements."

"You don't know Ryker! He might be a submissive, but he is definitely psychotic...if he catches a whiff that you know, he will once again disappear!" Selina cried out, "And he will continue to do harm."

"Shhhh..." Austin soothed, rocking his mate back and forth, "We will get him."

"You don't know him..." She repeated.

Turning his mate around, so that she straddled his lap, he cupped her face, "Tell me what he did to you?"

Selina closed her eyes, tears streaming down her face, shaking her head in denial, blocking her thoughts and memories of the past.

"I can't..." She whispered out, "Please don't make me tell you."

Austin could see that whatever Ryker did to his mate, must have been brutal, he could not force his mate to relive something that she has not yet come to terms with, he needed to be patient...

"You are with me now. I will do my best to keep you and your sister safe. That is a promise I intend to keep." Placing a kiss on her temple, gently embracing her.

"No-one can make that kind of promise. Life is unpredictable and there are no guarantees." Selina said, not wanting that sort of burden to weigh heavily on her mate's shoulder, should he fail in protecting them.

"I will kill and die trying." He firmly stated, still being stubborn.