Chapter 24

My hands run over the fabric of my dress, smoothing at non-existent wrinkles. I had been hesitant to bring it, assuming that I would have nowhere to wear it. But the lavender chiffon flows just right, stopping above my knees, and the off the shoulder top accentuates my arms. I feel ethereal, like a fairy. As I shift in the mirror, trying to find out if I should wear my hand up or down, for the first time in a while, I feel truly pretty.

Nick has the ability to do that to me, to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world. I used to never feel anything more than ordinary, but he doesn't see me that way. Because of him, I'm starting to not feel that way either.

A knock sounds at my door, and when I open it, I'm greeted by Nick. He's wearing a button up and holds a beautiful bouquet of daisy's in his hand. Some still have the roots hanging from them, and it's easy to tell that he plucked those from Kelly's garden recently.

"These flowers sure are fresh," I joke, and he laughs.

"Only the best for you."

I grab the flowers from his hands and lift them to my nose. They smell light and earthy. I turn to set them on my bed, but he places his hand on my wrist and stops me. I look at him with a questioning glance, but he doesn't say anything to curb my confusion. Instead, he reaches into the flowers, picks up one without a root, and tucks it behind my ear.

He smiles looking down on me. "Perfect."

Perfect.

Looking at him, crooked grin on his face, and the whole evening ahead of us, I can't think of a better word.

***

"I hope it's okay that we skip the movie tonight. The only thing in theaters right now is a slasher movie, and I didn't think that would set the tone for the night right." He tears his eyes from the road, looking at me for approval. "Unless you want to go?"

I shake my head. "Horror movies aren't really my thing." Romance or comedies are more my speed. I can't help but be a sucker for happy endings. There's nothing to cure a bad mood like a well-picked movie. Sometimes, when things look especially dreary, it's just what I need.

He chuckled to himself. "I figured."

I pout. "What does that mean?" I try my best to sound as daunting as possible, but by the grin that cracks across his face, it doesn't seem to have much effect.

"Nothing, it's a compliment really." He spots my suspicious eyes and explains further.

"It's just that you're so full of hope and light. You see the world and life and the world as this amazing gift where anything can happen, which doesn't seem conducive to scary movies."

He sighs. "Sometimes I wish that I could see the world like you." He avoids my eye contact, staring with a furrowed brow through the windshield.

I don't know how to process this information. On one hand, I'm flattered that he sees me that way. I have never thought of myself as someone filled with optimism or positivity. But looking back, Nick seems to bring that out of me. He makes me happier, which makes me look at life in a new, brighter way. But I can't help but wonder if it's because I feel like I have to be full of enough wonder and optimism for the both of us. If so, is that healthy?

But on the other hand, despite the compliments he gives me, my heart still sinks. Because looking at Nick, staring out the window with a face too serious for only being a teenager, breaks my heart. I decide, right then and there, that I never want Nick to have to feel this way again if I can help it.

"You can see the world like that. You have so many amazing things to be happy about." He still seems unconvinced.

"And if you ever need help, you have your own personal tutor. Some may say that I'm the best around." The corners of his mouth lift up, and I know that I've got him.

"And who are these people that you claim of?"

I lightly poke him in the shoulder. "That, sir, is confidential."

Now his smile is not just corners, but teeth and all. But when I go to move my hand away from his arm I'm not quick enough, and he grabs onto my finger, holding my hand in place. "If you're going to poke me, you have to be quicker than that."

"How should I have guessed that you wanted to hold it hostage?"

He laughs. "That seems like a you problem to me." I huff.

"Well then, what's my punishment Mr. Speedy."

He pretends to think it over, wrinkling his forehead in the process. After he finishes his scene, he interlaces his fingers with mine. His large, calloused hands feel different against mine.

But a good different. A different that I could happily get used to.

"I've decided. I sentence you to an entire night of holding my hand."

"Is that so?"

"Yup," he says popping the p. "And full privileges to do this whenever I please." He lifts my hand up to his mouth, planting a soft kiss atop my skin. That simple touch is enough to make my heart flutter.

"And what if I refuse?" I ask, my voice sounding breathier than I intended. His eyes connect to mine, bright and energized. "Then I'll have to find somewhere else to kiss."

My heart skips a beat.

"You, Nick," I say, resting our hands on the center console, his thumbs caressing cirlcles onto my skin, "Will be the death of me."

~~~

I hope you guys enjoy this update! Part 2 of their date will be coming soon! Don't forget to vote and comment! Thanks for reading!

-K