Chapter 29

It's funny how long a second can feel. One moment in time, stretched into what seems to be forever. It's all normal paced, Nick and I's shouting match, the tears threatening to spill over, and then...

The impact.

A bright white light. Crunching metal. My neck whips forward, then hits the airbag, then swings left, then right, as if moshing at concert. Fine white powder snows down. A scream sounds in the distance. An awful, gut-wrenching scream that I is coming from a girl's mouth that I don't even recognize.

I'm a bystander, looking within the twisted light blue metal, as the awful, horrible second of time unfolds.

It's funny, how all these events, all these moments within one second, can feel like eternity

Then everything goes black.

****

I'm weightless.

My body launches so high up I feel like I can almost grasp the clouds. I land on my feet but collapse to the ground, the trampoline springs squeaking in protest. I look up at the sky, the branches of my willow tree in my childhood backyard dotting my peripherals.

It's so calm.

I look to my side, and there he is. All smiles and dimples. Nick can't be older than eleven years here, and guessing by my small statue, neither can I.

He says something unintelligible, but I guess I somehow understand because my body boils with laughter. A melodic giggle escapes from my lips, and he's laughing with me, and everything seems okay in the world.

I close my eyes and allow myself to soak up the sun and the smell of freshly cut grass. I allow myself to forget all the inconveniences of growing up.

Then everything goes black.

***

"You're just going to leave us!"

I'm in my backyard, but despite the distance I can still hear the screaming from inside.

"What about Leighton? What the hell am I supposed to do by myself?"

I focus on the dangling of my legs off the edge of the trampoline. I kick them back and forth with such force that I can feel it rock beneath me.

"Fuck you, Greg!"

The front door slams shut.

I jump off the edge, running as fast as my short legs can take me. I see my dad, key inserted in the car door.

"Where are you going, Dad?"

He freezes but doesn't turn around. His hand twists the key into the lock.

"Where are you going?" I ask again, but louder. Maybe he can't hear me.

This time he doesn't freeze. He rips open the car door and slams it shut behind him. My heart sinks. I run up to the car window, but he rolls it up, his face stoic.

"What's wrong, Dad?" I ask. Sweat pools on the back of my neck. "Why are you ignoring me?"

He shifts the gears, turning to look out the rear windshield. He's leaving, and no one has to tell me that he's not coming back.

"Dad, answer me!" I yell. My eyes grow hot. I follow after his car as he zooms out of our driveway. "What did I do wrong!"

It's too late, though, because before I can choke out my last words, his car is gone. I don't know when I drop to my knees.

Then everything goes black.

**

"This blows," Bethany says, turning onto her back on the lounging chair. "This was supposed to be our summer. What the heck am I supposed to do when you're gone?"