Chapter 32

My hair flows in soft waves over the curves of my shoulders and down the length of my back. Staring at myself in my vanity mirror, my reflection looking back at me from beside the bright florescent bulbs surrounding it, I take a deep breath. This is what I've always wanted. I've always dreamed of this dance, with Jack at my side, whisking me away on the dancefloor all night. I would place my head into the crook of his neck, and he would hold me tightly as we swayed. This would be the night that everything changed between us.

But sitting here now with my hair and makeup complete, those dreams seem like distant memories. Whenever I try to picture the night with Jack, his blue eyes turn brown and his skin deepens into a sun-kissed color, until finally he morphs right in front of me into a completely different person. When I unbury my head from his neck, it is no longer Jack that I see, but Nick.

But worst of all is the overwhelming feeling of comfort that overtakes me when I lock eyes with him. It takes everything within me to pull away from him, to walk away, and regardless of whether it is that night in the hospital or on an imaginary dance floor, saying goodbye to him never gets easier.

But, for one night, I can push the thought of Nick away.

I have to.

The dress I bought this spring hangs on my closet door. Bethany and I drove forty minutes away to the big outdoor mall just so that we could go to the dress shop Daisy's. When we saw it hanging on the rack, we had been certain that it was the one. The soft yellow chiffon looked so happy and free. When I tried it on it felt special, like I was fated to wear it. We each left the store with large white bags, the lavender tissue paper spilling out, and a renewed sense of hope for the upcoming summer.

As I pull the dress over me now, the chiffon feels flat and scratchy. No matter how many times I rotate in the mirror, I can't recapture the special feeling I had before. The doorbell rings, so I grab my purse off the desk. It's a black satin clutch with a diamond clasp, and I only ever wear it on special occasions. When I leave my room and walk down the stairs, my nude heels slowing me down, I am greeted by Jack at the door.

"You look beautiful," Jack says, giving me a long once over. He wears a black suit and bowtie, and despite his simplicity, I can't deny that he looks handsome.

"You don't look too bad yourself." He cheeks flush red and I suddenly notice a box in his left hand.

"What's that?" I ask, pointing to it.

"I don't know what you're talking about." His hands dart behind his back as a mischievous smile lights up his face.

"Is that so?" He nods his head and I take the moment to strike, my arms reaching out and taking the box from behind him.

"Hey!" he protests, but it's too late. I wavw the box in my hands like a trophy.

"Let's see what you're hiding," I say, opening the white box. When my eyes land on the contents, my breath is taken aback. It's a beautiful corsage, it's petals a soft yellow. He somehow managed to capture the delicate essence of my dress in one, beautiful flower.

"Do you like it?" he asks. His hands sit in his pockets and I can tell that he's nervously waiting for my answer.

"No," I say, taking it out of the box. "I love it." He lets out a sigh of relief.

"How did you know to get the color yellow?"

"I might have asked Bethany for a few hints about your dress." His hands wrap around mine, gently taking the corsage. When his hands meet mine, I can't tell if I'm imagining it or not, but a small spark passes between us. But that's not possible, right? I'm over Jack, I knew that the moment he came to the ranch. But now, back home, could things possible change?