VIII: chunhei's daddy

career day: 

"Good morning, students and parents! I'm so happy that we're all here today. Parents, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedules to present to the students. Students, please listen carefully to what the parents present today and take note of any jobs that you find interesting! Feel free to ask questions but make sure you do what first?" I start off the class

"Raise my hand!" Excited voices quip, making me grin. The students are especially excited today because of the different agenda. 

"Great job, everyone! Well, without further ado, let's begin! Who'd like to go first?" I turn my gaze over to the parents sitting on chairs in the back of the classroom. 

"Me!" A hand shoots up from the group of parents. 

I try to hold in my laughter as Sora volunteers to go first. Over the past few months, we've gotten closer and became close friends, you can almost consider us best friends. After my initial visit to her bakery, I've since then joined their weekly Saturday breakfast dates. I spend every Saturday morning with them, drinking coffee, eating delicious pastries, and talking about almost any topic. They've become my family. 

"Great! Everyone, please give all your attention to Kim Sora, Noah's mummy," I introduce her and head to the back to observe. 

As I make my way to the back, I catch Yoongi's gaze. I throw him a gentle smile, taking a seat on my desk chair, pulling it out to sit near the parents. Over these past few weeks hanging out with the bakery squad, I've gotten noticeably closer with Yoongi the most. There have been rare days where Chunhei is picked up on time, but since classes started in August, Chunhei has been habitually picked up late by Yoongi. With staying back with Chunhei and breakfast with them on Saturdays, Yoongi and I have been exchanging text messages back and forth. The father-daughter duo have even accompanied me a few times during my weekend grocery runs. 

I bring my attention to the front where Sora, decked out in her professional chef's uniform, has begun her presentation. She talks about her job as a pastry chef, describing her daily duties, how she became a pastry chef, and why she chose this occupation. 

The students listen in awe as she brings out a container of individually wrapped macarons and cookies. The kids all move forward in excitement but I quickly head to the front of the room to control the oncoming crowd. 

"Ok, guys, can everyone say thank you to Mrs. Kim for her wonderful presentation," I control the class as I help Sora pass out the treats. 

"Who should go next?" I question my students as they look to the back and scan the crowd of parents for their next presenter. 

"I don't think anyone can follow up macarons and cookies," Yoongi jokes, earning him a soft smack on the shoulder from Sora.

"I think Mr. Min wants to go next!" Sora excitedly suggests, offering the parents some cookies and macarons. 

The children cheer as Yoongi huffs and gets up from his seat and heads to the front of the classroom. I take a seat next to Sora, who has taken Yoongi's seat. She nudges me playfully, smiling in Yoongi's direction, "Excited to hear what your man has to present?" She whispers so the other parents don't hear. 

I glare at her playfully before bringing my attention back to Yoongi. 

"Good morning, everyone," Yoongi greets, his soft, yet stable, deep voice, quickly capturing the attention of everyone in the room. I hear a few moms behind me gasp as they study the young man at the front of the classroom. 

"He's a father?" I hear one of the mothers question from behind me. 

"He's one good looking daddy," I hear another respond. I try my hardest to hold in my laughter. 

"I'm Min Yoongi, Chunhei's daddy..and sometimes her mummy, when she needs one," Yoongi continues, sending one of his famous gummy smiles to his daughter who cheekily sends a smile bigger than his back to him. I mentally awe at this exchange. 

"He's beautiful," the previous mom pipes up again. 

"I'm a music producer/songwriter. What that means is I write and create songs for people to sing! I work with cool instruments and gadgets all day and at the end, a song is produced," He continues. The kids gasp excitedly at this information. 

"That's basically it," Yoongi laughs softly, bringing his hand up to scratch the back of his neck, "Does anyone have any questions?"

A hundred hands fly up into the air right after he asks the question. 

"Oh man, I wasn't expecting everyone to be so curious. Okay, you can go first," Yoongi points to one of the students. 

"Have you met any cool celebrities or Kpop bands?"

"Yes! I've actually written quite a few songs for bands like TXT, Suran, and HEIZE."

"Do you make a lot of money?"

"I believe I make enough to live a comfortable life." 

"He buys me a lot of toys!" Chunhei pipes up from the crowd of students, making all the kids and parents laugh. 

"Alright, I think that's enough questions for Mr. Min. Everyone please give him a round of applause!" I get up and continue the rest of the presentations. 

After the last parent presents, I thank all of the parents for participating. They all leave and head back to their jobs as I settle the kids back into their seats. 

"Alright! Has everyone picked what job they want to pick?"

A chorus of yes and cheers erupt from the excited students. 

"Okay! On the white paper I gave you, you can start drawing what job you want to do when you get older then when you work on your bigger project, you can attach this drawing with your story. Work on this quietly until class ends please!" 

I walk back over to my desk, getting ready to finish up some grading, when my phone pings from my purse. I glance at my phone. That's weird. I rarely get text messages during the school day so I quickly pick up my phone to see the message. To add on to my confusion, it's a text message from Yoongi. 

Yoongi: hey, YN. I'm sooo sorry but I'll be caught up late in the studio tonight :/ Can Chunhei stay with you a bit longer after school? I'm so sorry, I forgot I had a song due today and it still needs work. 

YN: hi, Yoon! of course! if you need to stay long, why don't I take Chunhei home with me? I think she'll be more comfortable waiting at my apartment rather than in the classroom. 

Yoongi: are you sure? I really don't wanna burden you any more than I already have. I could ask the other guys but everyone is busy. 

YN: no worries!! I'll take the munchkin home and we'll bake some cookies. she'll be okay! 

Yoongi: you're a saint!! I'll ask Sora to bring over some comfy clothes for her when she picks up Noah. Thank you again, YN!! I owe you!! 

YN: anytime, yoongi!!

I smile slightly. These past few weeks have been very hard on Yoongi. With the holiday season coming closer, Yoongi has had a lot of requests from idols who want to release music during this time or when the new year begins. Because of this, I've also noticed Chunhei looking a bit distressed too. With her father busier than ever, she can sense how busy he and tired he is. Tonight, I want her to feel like a little kid with nothing to worry about. Looks like we're making sugar cookies tonight! 

 Looks like we're making sugar cookies tonight!