17

When Kegan woke up the following morning, he was alone. The other side of the bed, where Calix had been, was cold and bare. He climbed out of bed and wrapped himself in one of the throw blankets folded in the corner before venturing out of the room.

Calix never said anything about staying in the room now that his heat was over, and from what Kegan had learned from the Alpha so far, he didn't think he'd be in trouble for it.

He walked down the hall to the kitchen, but before he entered the room, he heard yelling.

"I'm fine!" Astra's voice yelled, but her voice cracked, making it sound like she'd been crying.

Kai's growl resonated from the kitchen, making Kegan step back, getting away from the snarl. "You're not okay, Astra! The doctor said you should be on bed rest as much as possible, and you haven't been! Go lay down!"

"No! I'm fine!" Astra growled back.

Kai snarled loudly, the sound and her scent that filled the house oozing dominance and anger. "I don't want to have to force you, Omega," she snapped.

From the tone, Kegan could tell that Kai's wolf was attempting to take control.

Astra didn't stand down, her own angry scent filling the room. "Then don't!" she snapped, then screamed, terrifying Kegan.

Against all instinct telling him to hide or find Calix, he ran out into the kitchen, finding Astra being held against the wall with Kai growling at her, eyes flashing between gold and brown.

"Kai!" Kegan yelled, a strange sense of protectiveness coming over him. "Stop!"

Kai turned and snarled at him, but Kegan couldn't find the urge to back away.

"You're scaring your mate! Is that what you want, Kai?! She needs you to protect her and support her or it could hurt the babies!" he yelled, making the gold in Kai's eyes fade.

Kai blinked for a few seconds before shaking her head, seeming dazed. She turned to see Astra still pressed against the wall, tears in her eyes.

"Astra?" she asked, touching her mate's cheek and lifting her chin up.

Astra took in a shaky breath. "I'm going to lie down," she whispered, stepping away from Kai, trembling slightly. "You need to go run or do something to calm down."

"Astra-"

"Please, Kai?"

Kai didn't respond. She stepped away from Astra and hung her head as the Omega walked away, before turning on Kegan.

Kegan suddenly realized that he had not only interfered with an argument between two mates, but he also yelled at an Alpha and accused her of potentially hurting her future children.

Alphas were extremely protective of their pups and mate during pregnancy, and oftentimes wouldn't stand to be told that they were doing something wrong or could be the source of a problem. A bad dynamic between mates often resulted in higher chances of miscarriage and abuse as a result of it.

"K-Kai," Kegan stuttered out as the Alpha gazed at him with an indescribable expression.
"I'm sorry, it wasn't my place to interfere! Please don't blame Astra, any punishment or anger you have to take out I'm willing to deal with and-"

"Thank you, Luna," Kai said, a smile ghosting over her face.

Kegan furrowed his eyebrows. "What?"

"Thank you for interfering. The last thing I want to do is cause Astra any form of stress or panic, but sometimes my wolf gets pissed off and tries to take over to stop Astra form doing anything that could exhaust her or get her hurt. Especially now that she's pregnant," Kai explained, pouring herself a mug of coffee and offering one to Kegan.