29

Kegan couldn't believe he'd never found the small field right behind Lys' cafe. It was bright, sunny, and there were always pups playing in it, since it was a place to practice shifting and was far enough into the territory that they weren't in any danger.

Even though he'd never had experience with his own pups, Kegan loved kids. They were cute, happy, and imaginative. The hope in their eyes was enough to melt Kegan's heart and he hoped Calix felt the same way so they could experience the same joy with their children someday.

"Kegan! I mean, Luna!" Lys called, walking out of the back of her cafe to find Kegan sitting in the field, watching the pups play. "What're you doing here?"

"I didn't know this place existed and the pups are adorable, so I decided to spend some time here," Kegan responded with a grin, before it fell off his face. "Wait, I am allowed to be here right? Like I'm not in anyone's way or something like that?"

Lys sat down beside him. "You're not in anyone's way," she promised before putting her two pointer fingers in her mouth and whistling loudly out into the field. "Wanna meet my kids?"

"You have kids?!" Kegan asked in shock. "Why have I never met them?!"

"They're abandoned pups that we found in the woods and Tali and I took them in," Lys explained and two boys came bounding over to her and climbed into her lap, instantly taking in her scent. "They're skittish around Alphas because they're Omegas and were the outcasts in their packs so they were abused and left behind."

The two boys were small for how old they seemed to be, but that was the genetic result of being an Omega. Both had dark, milk chocolate toned skin, but one had dirty blond hair and dark brown eyes while the other had grey eyes and curly dark hair.

"They don't live at the pack house," Kegan stated as the pair cuddled closer to Lys, clearly unsure of Kegan being around.

"No, they don't," Lys said with a small smile. "They sleep above the cafe so they can have time and space away from the Alphas before they learn to adjust to them. We've had them for a little over a year and they still need time."

"That's why you're gone so many nights, isn't it?"

Lys nodded. "I sleep here a lot to make sure they're okay, but they're both seven now so I can spend a night or two at the pack house, so long as I'm back here to spend time with them since Tali has other things going on, being a warrior and such."

Kegan realized how exhausted Lys was, so he assumed that she must've been there for Astra when she was having her pups and then rushed over to the cafe to keep an eye on the two.

"If you want to go take a nap I can keep an eye on them," Kegan said, feeling sad when the two tensed up and clung tighter to Lys.

Lys smiled sadly. "I wish, but they're really uncomfortable around anyone beside Tali and myself. They haven't met any other male Omegas though," she pointed out, pushing the two boys off of her lap. "Don't be nervous, babies. This is our future Luna, and he's just like both of you."

The two seemed less tense at that, but still wary.

Kegan held out his hand to introduce himself, saddened when they flinched as if he was going to hit them. "I won't hurt you two," he promised, making the two look back at his hand.

"Remember when mommy Tali taught you how to introduce yourselves?" Lys asked.

Both of the boys nodded hesitantly. After a few seconds of silence, the blond boy took Kegan's hand and shook it jerkily, never taking his eyes off of Kegan's hand, ready to run in a seconds notice.