13 - confessions

✧✧✧

✧✧✧

"Hey, sweetheart you should wake up and eat something. You've been sleeping for hours." I hear my mother whisper before I crack my eyelids open to see her sitting on the edge of my bed. I sit up, trying to blink the sleep out of my eyes as my mouth falls open in a big yawn.

"Wait... what time is it?" I ask before glancing at the clock to see it was half past five. My eyes widen and I bring my hands to my eyes, harshly rubbing them before looking back at the clock to see the time not change.

"Are you feeling okay? You seem a little off honey." My mom furrows her eyebrows, placing the back of her hand on my forehead and I brush it off. "I'm fine,
it was just a bug. I feel better now anyways so don't worry about it." Her face changes and I immediately regret being so harsh.

"Please, I'm fine. Let's just go downstairs and make something. Do you want me to make some pasta?" I raise my eyebrows as we exit my room and she follows me down the stairs. "Oh please do, I've missed your guy's pasta. I can't seem to make it as good as you." Her nose scrunches, a small smile spreading across her face and warm was blooms inside me. I've missed her.

My mom and I walk into the kitchen and she takes her place at the island and I start for take the ingredients out of the fridge and pantry. This is how it always was, mom would sit and read to Char and I as we both made our signature bow-tie pasta. We came up with the recipe when I was eight and she was ten and we were obsessed with Gordon Ramsey and the Food channel. I swear we thought we were going to be on MasterChef junior.

It used to hurt me when I would cook, it felt like I was betraying her when I cooked without her but now it's one of the only things that helps me feel closer to her.

"What should we read? I have a few books in mind. I got a new book before the storm and there's also another one I found in a box recently. What do you think?" She stops to ask me and I freeze, pulling the cutting board out of the cupboard and my eyes soften.

"What about Harry Potter, that was Char's favorite?" My mom smiles and walks over to the bookshelf and pulls out the book, brushing the dust off of the red casing, and turns to the front page, starting to read.

Thirty minutes into the book and the pasta almost being done we hear a knock on the front door. My mother closes the book and walks toward the door, opening it to reveal a very excited Sarah, dressed in a bright pink bikini and a pair of light washed, denim shorts.

"It's nice to see you Sarah, Delilah and I were just making some pasta if you want some?" My mother smiles and Sarah nods, sending me a we need to talk later look before sitting down next to my mother at the island. Soon enough the pasta is done and I dish it onto three plates but before I can even sit down Sarah is dragging me upstairs to my bedroom.

"Sarah what are you doing?" I hiss as she giggles before closing the door shut and looks at me, a deviant glint in her eyes. "We're going to a party. And you are going to forget about all that you have been stressing about that has turned you into what's standing in front of me. Seriously Del you look like you died, what happened to you?"