Chapter Twenty-Three - Staying Alive

Chapter Twenty-three

Staying Alive and Keeping the Hormones in Check

I stood on the porch and watched for Meaghan's car to come up the driveway. I felt a hand on my arm and turned to see Nathan.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"I'm fine."

"It's okay if you're not."

"Nathan, I'm fine just really tired."

"Go lay down," he said.

"I will after Meaghan gets here."

He brushed a few strands of hair out of my face and gazed into my eyes.

"You're so beautiful," he said softly.

I looked down at the dusty porch. "Don't."

"Don't what?"

"Do this. We can't," I whispered.

"Why not? What's stopping us?" he asked.

"Nathan, what if I'm bitten? What if you're bitten? I don't want to lose anyone else. I can't lose anyone else."

"You won't lose me." He placed his hand on the small of my back and nuzzled my hair.

"You don't know that. I never thought Becca would die, and she did. She's dead," I said as tears welled in my eyes again.

He pulled me in close to his body. I put my hands on his chest prepared to push him away. Using his free hand, Nathan tilted my head up. He lowered his head so that our lips met. His soft, delicious lips. For a brief moment I forgot what was going on in the world. For a brief moment my mind thought all was well. For just a brief moment, I forgot my sister was dead.

The sound of Meaghan's car horn drew me out of the peace. I broke the kiss and pushed Nathan back.

"We can't," I whispered.

He furrowed his brows, turned, and walked into the house. I sighed heavily and waited for my friend to get on the porch.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"The end of the world," I muttered.

"Who was that?"

"Who?"

"Don't play coy with me, Emma. Who was the hunky man you were sucking face with?"

"Probably the only doctor who made it out of the hospital when everything happened," I said.

"A boyfriend?" She nudged me.

"No, and I don't think right now is a good time to be thinking about that sort of thing."

"What sort of thing?"

"Boyfriends, Meaghan. I don't think now is a good time to be thinking about boyfriends."

"Okay, maybe now isn't the time. But after all of this you may want to start if the world will need repopulated.

"Seriously, Meaghan? Get in the house," I grumbled.

"Emma, dear," her mother said extending her arms for me.

"Hi, Kathy."

"How are you, sweetheart?" she asked.

"I don't know."

"Meaghan told us about Becca. I'm so sorry, honey."

"Thank you." I smiled slightly fighting back the tears.

"Your pop in the house?" Meaghan's father asked.

"In the kitchen, Bob."

He put his hand on my shoulder, nodded, and went into the house. He showed as much emotion as my father did. Which was none.

I trailed after everyone into the living room to see Kathy embracing my mother as she sobbed. I didn't realize she had not started crying when I got there. Meaghan sat next to them looking solemn. I watched her for a few minutes, but opted to walk away when I saw a tear slide down her cheek. I poked my head in the kitchen. Dad and Bob sat at the table with tumblers of whiskey sitting in front of each of them. A bottle of dad's bourbon sat on the counter. I made my way back down the hallway to the stairs, Nathan stood there looking at me. I felt so hollow and broken.

"Are you going to bed?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Okay." He turned and stared out the window next to the door.

"Are you tired?" I asked quietly.

He nodded his head, not turning around.

"Come lay down with me?"

He glanced over his shoulder at me briefly. "I thought you didn't want to risk your feelings?"

"Doesn't mean I don't like to cuddle from time to time."

"Is that all it will be? Just cuddling?"

"And sleeping. Unless you want to sleep down here?"

He stood there a moment looking as though he were lost in thought. "I think I can do some cuddling."

"I just don't want to be alone tonight," I mumbled.

"Neither do I. I don't want to be alone ever again."

"You could have gone to your family," I said.

He shook his head, his eyes full of sadness.

"Why not?"

"The only family I have left is my grandmother. She's ninety-five and in a nursing home."

"I see." I reached out and took hold of his hand. Without a word I led him up the stairs and to my room. I could hear the chatter and sobbing coming from downstairs, and I wanted nothing more to do with it for the day. I took off the ripped shirt and torn jeans, discarding them on the floor. Nathan stood there and watched. I walked over to him and pulled his shirt over his head, neither of us ever saying a word.

I reached down for the ties on his scrub pants he grabbed my hand and studied my face closely.

"I'm not afraid of a man in boxers."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm in my bra and panties. I'm pretty sure I'm sure, Nathan."

"Okay."

We climbed into bed and settled down. He was the first man to ever sleep in that particular bed. I pulled the blankets up to my chest and unhooked my bra.

"What are you doing?" Nathan asked.

"Have you ever tried sleeping in a bra?"

He shook his head.

"It's not comfortable."

He watched as I deposited the undergarment on the floor. I lay back on my pillows and stared up at him. He kept himself propped up on one elbow as he ran his fingers through my hair.

"You're so beautiful."

"You're not so bad yourself." I feigned a smile.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"For what, Nathan?"

"Your sister."

"Don't be," I said.

He leaned down and kissed me again. He tasted so good. He settled down next to me continuing the kissing. I sighed deeply, I was so tired.

"Sleep now," he whispered gently placing his lips on my temple.

He rolled toward me and wrapped his arms around my body pulling me into him. His warm skin felt comforting. The roughness from his unshaved face tickled my cheek, but I enjoyed it. For the second time that day, he made me forget about the horrors going on around us.