Chapter 3: The Presence of Aoi

There was a rare trait in Inosuke that most people wouldn't know about except for his friends.

When he felt bored in the Butterfly Mansion, wanting to fight more demons, he gained interest in something else.

No. Not because he was personally attracted to her. She was the closest thing to spark his curiosity after more than a month living in the manor.

Sure, he made some friends among the Kakushi, but he was more intrigued with this woman who would do either of these two: scold or feed him.

He regarded those who give him food as acquaintances, but she would also scream and shout, which made him confused.

Plus, he called her demon woman.

Why? Because he believed that Aoi was a person who didn't need to sleep.

Each night, he would be woken up by someone scuffling through the shadows and without even opening his eyes, he could smell her checking the patients' temperature, including his own.

That happened when he was already deep in his sleep.

Before dawn, he was also conscious to find out that she had changed the wet towels on people's foreheads, telling him that she was already up before the sun was beginning to rise.

What was with this woman?

Was she ultimately stronger than Inosuke?

He was adamant to find out.

During one morning, he was wandering around the manor, casually cursing along the way as he was having trouble trying to spot Aoi.

He moved from corridor to corridor, from room to room, trying to find her. His nose caught the scent of food wafting around and he did pick up some snacks in the kitchen.

Inosuke pretended to eat very loud, but Aoi made no appearance. That was when he had to resort to other ways.

His swords were snatched away by Aoi and he had to use other things.

A friendly Kakushi passed by. He wasn't that familiar with Inosuke, but he didn't fear him either. "What are you doing, Inosuke-san?"

"It's none of your business!"

The only reason why the Kakushi was still in good terms with Inosuke was because he didn't particularly care about his boisterous nature. "Alright. Call me if you need anything."

He went to the courtyard, borrowed two brooms from Aoi's three little assistants and poked the ground using its stick.

Using his enhanced sense of touch, he tried locating Aoi's whereabouts.

At first, it was faint and hollow. He felt the presence of another living being, somewhere outside the manor. He couldn't detect if it was Aoi, but he continued to focus.

Emptying his head and increasing his awareness, Inosuke could follow her rhythm of breathing and somehow, the benevolent voice inside her head. For some reason, he couldn't recognize any malicious intentions coming from her.

It vexed Inosuke. He was sure Aoi was hiding something. He was strong. Of course he could detect it earlier than others.

Inosuke followed the faint sound of Aoi's heartbeat, dashing outside the manor and seeing the sun as it was starting to rise over the horizon. Slowly, her presence began to get stronger as Inosuke was nearing a river.

It was a soft stream, shallow and flowing in a calm manner. Inosuke saw no fish in the water, indicating that the river wasn't used for food supply.