11

When an unknown number woke me up as early as half past six in the morning, I didn't think Charlie would be at the other end or that 30 minutes later, I'd be stumbling sleepily towards the new Mo Ostin basketball centre

  When an unknown number woke me up as early as half past six in the morning, I didn't think Charlie would be at the other end or that 30 minutes later, I'd be stumbling sleepily towards the new Mo Ostin basketball centre. The morning air was bright and chilly which added to the piling list of things pissing me off.

The fact that I couldn't get a venti in me is the most infuriating. The new sports centre that was built specifically for the basketball is a long walk from Starbucks which would have meant getting two shuttles instead of 1. I simple do not have the finances for that.

  I push open the door that leads inside the modern  building. Grateful for the warmth I pull down the hood of the grey Harvard hoodie I'm wearing, my eyes dancing around to take in the reception. There's no receptionist-because everyone's still in bed-so I walk towards the first blue door I could see. When I  peep in  through the glass panel, I notice the indoor court is empty. I push the door open and step in.

Looking around the team pictures stuck on the walls around the court, I realise it's the women's court and start walking to the door on the other side. I walk past a common room with a stocked fridge, a large ass gym, the girl and boy's locker room before reaching a set of brown double doors. As I step closer to the door, I catch some movements through the glass and my heart skips slightly. Anxiety builds in my chest as I realise I have no idea what I'm doing.

   I should have stayed the hell in bed.

I blow out a quick breath and push the door open before I can chicken out and decide against it. I'm shocked at the intensity of the music blasting through the speakers hung next to a big tv screen on the wall. As soon as i step in, It seems like everything stops and all eyes narrow at me as I stand by the sidelines awkwardly. I half expect the grey haired coach to walk over and kick me out but he doesn't. Instead, he yells at the players to 'move their asses.' I'm surprised they can hear him over the voice of Roddy Ricch. A soundproof basketball court, who woulda thunk?

Not me.

I search for Charlie amongst the array of white and blue jerseys. When I see him, he points towards the seats at the corner of the court. 2 boys are there watching the game. Both of them I recognise as Dante Kingsley and Wesley Sandler. I glare at Charlie. No way. But he simply shrugs as the ball gets handed to him and continues playing leaving me there to worry about sitting next to people I don't know.

God! I really should have stayed in bed.

Okay. I think as I walk towards the seat, my heart thumping slightly as I try to act as calm as possible even though I'm freaking out on the inside. The both of them are so engrossed in the game that they don't even turn to look at me as I sit down and set my bag on an empty seat to separate us. I'm more relieved than offended as I rummage through my bag to check the time. The screen of the device lights up immediately as my 7.30 alarm goes off. I roll my eyes and hit snooze before settling in my seat while hoping they both don't notice I'm next to them.