The x Five x Reunited

"Dead... I'm dead..." I groaned, kicking my feet against the wall.

"How about another game of bull?" Hisoka asked, shuffling his cards

"How about another game of bull?" Hisoka asked, shuffling his cards. "Ugh, no. We've already played that like, five times. And I've only won two of them."
"Sore loser~"

For the record, we'd already played six rounds of war, two rounds of trash, five rounds of bull, four rounds of go fish, one round of blackjack, two rounds of tongues, and even small magic tricks and several attempts at building a card pyramid. And that's only from what I could remember. Illumi only participated twice (after some heavy convincing on the clown bastard's part), and Sensei (Hanzo) had also played a few rounds.

What's that? Oh, you think I'm being all buddy-buddy with the clown bastard? Hah, as if I had a choice. If I hadn't done something, I would've died of boredom. Don't misunderstand me- I still hate him with all I have. He's a clown pedo, after all.

I sighed, staring at the tall ceiling. Hasn't it been long enough? I'm sure that by now everyone but those four are here. I seriously regretted my decision of making it here first. Not that it was really my decision. The lack of entertainment was quite literally starting to kill me. Sure, I was kind of hungry and thirsty, but I guess this body had been modified to be able to last long without food and water- along with everyone else here. And a cart carrying rice and water had been wheeled in a few times so that we wouldn't starve.

Just as I was about to strike up a conversation with Hanzo again, the door slid open, catching everyone's attention. It announced the newcomer's places. And, much to my relief, Gon walked out, followed by Killua and Kurapika. "Ow... my butt hurts..." Killua complained. "Who would've thought the shortcut was a slide?" Kurapika laughed.

"Gon, Killua, Kurapika!" I exclaimed, crushing them with a hug. "Do you have any idea how worried (and bored) I was? I thought I was done for! Rabbits die from loneliness, you know!" Killua smirked. "Are you implying that you're a rabbit?"
"Aki, I can't breath..." Gon managed with a weak smile. I let go, crossing my arms. "What took you so long? And where's-"
"Ah... that was kind of my fault..." a new voice admitted. I looked behind them to see Leorio and Tonpa enter, pushing each other away. Hah, they really don't get along.

Gon quickly explained everything that had happened with a sheepish Leorio behind him. "You were stuck in that room for that long because of Leorio?" I asked, covering my laugh. "It's not funny! It was so boring in there..." Killua complained.
"Are you kidding me? I had to spend three days in here!" I said. "Not to mention, with that clown bastard too!" I pointed a finger at the man and he smirked, shuffling his stupid cards.
"Geh... he didn't do anything weird, did he?" Killua asked, making a face. "Ew, no, nothing like that. He's just unfairly good at card games..."
"Huh?"

"It feels so good to finally be out!" Gon said, stretching his arms. "Did you say three days? Aki, when did you get here?" Kurapika asked, confused. "I was here first. That's why I was so bored. I'm just grateful Sensei came along soon after so I had someone to talk to," I shrugged.
"F- first? Are you sure?" Leorio asked, recovering. "And who's Sensei?"
Killua was the only one who didn't look shell-shocked. "Just ask the clown bastard," I said, jabbing a thumb behind me, and everyone turned to look at him. Hisoka nodded in confirmation, wearing that same eerily calm smile as always.

"Aki, who's Sen-"
"You must be super strong then!" Gon interrupted Leorio, his eyes widening in admiration. "Not at all- It's kind of a long story," I started. Seeing their confused faces, I explained the whole story (leaving out my Chronos ability though, of course).

"But still... you destroyed that regenerative wall long enough to escape through it and fall all the way down here, and you still survived. How are you unscathed, especially after fighting Hisoka?" Kurapika asked incredulously. "I wasn't unscathed." I rolled my right arm lightly as to not agitate the injury. "I might've broken my arm... I can't tell. It's fine though, I heal fast. And I just used a common duck and roll technique to avoid becoming a splat on the ground." That, and Chronos.

Killua suddenly began to laugh. "Jeez, what is it with Aki and being first?" he asked amusedly. "Hm? What do you mean?" The others looked confused too. "I mean, you have the number one badge, meaning you were the first applicant- the first to arrive for the Hunter Exam. We all tied for first place in that race during the First Phase, you were the first and only person to pass the Second Phase, and now you're the first one to finish the Third Phase?"

An expression of realization dawned on the other's faces. Oh. He's right. Maybe I've been blessed by the gods who sent me here... or maybe it's just dumb luck. I guess it's what you'd call "protagonist syndrome." I can't help but win.

"Yeah, Killua's right..."
"That's crazy."
"Aki, are you secretly really strong?"

I shook my head in denial, holding my hands up. "Listen! I- I actually originally had the third badge, and I didn't really win since we all tied in that race. For the Second Phase, uh... I guess that one counts, but for this phase, it was more of a miraculous cheat code or something! It's all been pure luck so far," I insisted.

"Originally had the third badge?"
"How did you win over that demon chef Menchi?"
"If you didn't get kicked out, that means it was allowed, right? So it's really not a cheat?"
"Pure luck, you say?"

I began to sweat nervously under their gaze. But thankfully, before they could question me any further, an opening appeared in the room, letting in some much-needed sunshine. I squinted and shaded my eyes, unused to the light. I feel like a vampire. The remaining twenty-six candidates walked through the doorway, grouping together in a small crowd outside.

Ah... grass... the sky... I never thought I'd miss it so much. I looked at the bespectacled man with a purple mohawk standing in front of us. He must be the examiner.

I guess it's time for the next phase... the hunt on Zevil Island.