The x Hunt x Begins

(A/N: I know I'm not a good artist, but I drew my version of Aki, so here you go! Update: this is from so long ago, I might have to redo it 😭.)

"So

"So... who'd you guys get?" I asked, leaning against the edge of boat next to the other two. "Not telling," Killua teased, taking a seat by Gon. "Then... how about we reveal our cards on the count of three?" Gon suggested. Oh yeah... did they do that originally? Probably.

We each said a number as we counted down to zero.

"Three..."

"Two..."

"One!" Gon finished, and we all turned our cards around to reveal the numbers written on them.

I sighed in relief after scanning the other two's cards. "Good. None of us have each other, or Kurapika and Leorio." Gon also looked relieved, looking as if a weight had been lifted off of his shoulders.

I had number 293, Killua had 199, and Gon had... 44.

"Hold on, Gon isn't that..." Killua trailed off. "The clown bastard's badge number?!" I finished in disbelief, staring at his card. "Gon, are you gonna be alright?" Killua asked, sweatdropping.

Gon only stared down at the number with a determined gaze, clutching it tightly. What am I saying? He's the protagonist. Protagonists don't die, at least not this early in the show (sweats in Akame Ga Kill). But still, that doesn't mean he can't get hurt, or come close to the verge of death...

"Besides that, who did you guys get?" Gon asked. "I wasn't really paying attention to everyone's badges so I don't really know. I'm sure I'll find them at some point though," Killua said, tucking the badge away in his pocket. "Same here," I said sheepishly. Especially since everyone hid their badges after the challenge was announced. Everyone knows who 1 is though... me. How unlucky. I stood up and stretched. "I'm gonna go talk to Sensei."
"We still don't know who that is..."

I left Gon and Killua to chat as I walked around in search of Hanzo. But I was also looking for one other person... We had a couple hours left on the boat, which was plenty of time.

I found Hanzo with most of the other applicants at the front of the boat. He was leaning against the edge. "Who'd you get, Sensei? If it's 1 you'll go easy on me, right?" I joked.
"Actually, it's someone I don't know at all. I hope I can trust you with this." He showed me his target for a second. 197? "I'm pretty sure that's one of the Amori brothers... I just don't know which one," I murmured.
"Amori brothers?"

I glanced at the three brothers on the opposite side of the boat. "You know, those three guys who always stick together."
Hanzo grinned. "I see... Thanks. I owe you. Who's your target, by the way? I might know him."
"I appreciate your help, Sensei, but I can do this on my own. That is my mission as a potential student," I said with a serious expression. He blinked. "Well... if you insist. You're sure taking this seriously."
"Thank you. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find one other person," I said, bowing before I left.

I made a beeline for the back of the boat. To be honest, I wasn't looking forward to talking to him. There were only a few other people loitering back there.

"Just as I thought," I started, stopping at his side. He was sitting against a wall and facing the same sea as me.
"Oh? Did you miss me enough to come find me, little Ace?"
"As if. I only have one thing to say to you."
He grinned slyly. "I know. It's about Gon-kun, isn't it?"
I narrowed my eyes. "Did you rig it?"
"Of course not~"
"I don't believe you. Anyway, you know why I'm here, right?"
"Hmm, let me guess... you don't want me to kill him?"
"More than that."

At times like this, my fear disappeared. I didn't care for my life if it meant saving my friend's. I leaned down so that I was at his level. Both of our eyes stayed on the sea. Everything went silent.

"It's simple. Don't touch him. Don't hurt him. Don't even think about killing him. Otherwise..." I smiled for the first time around him, but it was anything but kind. "I'll make sure you never get the chance to fight him ever again. Not me, not Killua... we'll always stay... what's that weird word you use?" I laughed. "Unripened."

The calm smile disappeared from his face. "You're a perceptive one, little Ace. It's like you can read my mind. I've never met anyone quite like you."
"I just know how much you hate wasted potential. Regardless, this isn't a negotiable deal. Don't lay a finger on any of them. Understand?"
He raised his hands. "Whatever you say."

I stood up and left. I didn't care if I was changing the plot. Hell, I couldn't care less about the plot at this point. All that mattered was keeping my friends safe.

As Aki walked away, Hisoka chuckled to himself, unable to contain his excitement. Her bloodlust is lovely. I want to fight her. I want to fight her again... right now. But I have to restrain myself... If she's this perceptive and strong now, I can't imagine how powerful she'll be in just a few years... especially when she masters that unstable Nen of hers. Ahh, I can't wait for her to ripen!

(A/N: Hisoka's inner voice hurts me to write 💀.)

**✿❀ time skip ❀✿*

The boat slowed to a stop in front of a large and rich green island, setting down a plank for us to cross over. "You will be leaving in the same order as before," a woman announced.

"Good luck, Aki!" Gon cheered as I stood up. "Don't die out there," Killua said and gave a little wave. "As if," I retorted. I turned to face them with a serious expression. "Killua, I know you'll probably be fine, but Gon... please be careful with Hisoka," I warned. "Don't worry- I will," he said with a confident smile. His confidence worried me. Did he have a plan? I know I told Hisoka not to lay a finger on the Gon, but I was still wary.

I waved goodbye to Leorio, Kurapika, and Hanzo as I walked onto the island, disappearing into the thick trees.

We have a week to find either our target or enough badges to amount up to the number of points we need to pass, which is six. If I don't know who my target is, it must be someone relatively unimportant or weak, since I only bothered to memorize the numbers of the stronger applicants. So taking them out won't be a problem.

What will be is the short amount of time I have to find one person on this huge island. On top of that, I have to avoid whoever's going after me and anyone else who decided to go for the extra points instead of their own target.

That also meant that I wouldn't have much time to sleep, unless I wanted to get attacked while snoozing away. I sighed as I ran through the thick forest. Gosh, this is so much more troublesome than I thought it would be.