The x Morals x of x Aki

I quietly hummed a catchy song to myself, tugging my sweater back on. I'd just taken a quick bath (it had already been three days since the third phase began, and I was starting to smell. Unfortunately, staying magically clean was not one of my new abilities). Luckily, the guard sent to watch me was female, so I didn't have to worry about that. I just wished that whatever sent me here had also dropped off some self-care supplies, not just cute new clothes.

My dark hair was still damp, so I let it down to air-dry. Maybe I should cut it after all so that it doesn't get in the way later on. It was kind of a shame, because the messy locks of raven hair were admittedly beautiful. I'd definitely favor it over my old hairstyle (sorry, Evly).

I sighed, remembering that I still hadn't found my target yet. At this rate, I'd have to find three random opponents if I didn't find them sometime soon.

**✿❀ time skip ❀✿*

I was walking through a foggy section of the forest, where I had to watch my step in order to avoid tripping on the thick tree roots. This place looks vaguely familiar. Maybe it was the setting of a scene in this arc, I thought, glancing around cautiously.

Suddenly, I heard some shouting, and I immediately quieted down. Is it a fight? Maybe I can snag a few emergency points just in case. I began walking silently over to the source of the voices, staying mostly hidden behind the large tree trunks.

I blinked, surprised when I recognized two of the five people there. "Killua!" I called, waving and stepping out from behind the tree. Killua Zoldyck was standing there (looking quite bored) with the three Amori brothers surrounding him.

The ex-assassin placed his hands behind his head, facing me and raising an eyebrow. "Man, I knew someone was hiding over there, but I didn't think it was you." I laughed sheepishly, scratching my cheek. So he sensed my presence after all? "By the way, have you seen my target yet?" I asked, holding up my card number. "Nah, not yet. Did you check the eastern marsh?"

The three men sweatdropped as Killua and I chatted casually as if they weren't there. "Damn brats, stop acting so carefree and just hand over your pins already! Or do you want to feel some real pain?" the biggest one threatened, cracking his knuckles. "Shut up, we're talking. Can't you give us five more minutes?" I grumbled.

"Anyway, I was saying, have you seen Gon yet? I've been too worried about him to focus recently," I said, frowning.
"It's Gon, he'll be fine. Didn't we tell you before? He's probably looking for Hisoka as we speak."
"It's just that the clown bastard is pretty much a psychopath... Knowing Gon, he'll probably end up provoking him somehow."
"I can see that... He's so impulsive."
"Kind of like Leorio."
"I don't know who's worse!"
"And Kurapika's like the total opposite of them!"

"HEY YOU DAMN BRATS, THIS ISN'T A TEA PARTY!" the oldest of the brothers yelled. I glared at him, and he hesitated for a split second. I guess I can get some extra points out of them. Behind her, Killua narrowed his eyes slightly. She can harness bloodlust? There's no way she's an assassin, though. If she were, I'd be able to tell. Whatever, I'll just ask her later.

"I'll take care of this one," I said. Immediately, Killua disappeared from view. The man in front of me laughed haughtily, cracking his knuckles again. "You think you can take me on, little girl?" He sneered, cracking his knuckles. Without a word, before he could do anything, I moved faster than his eyes could keep up with and reappeared behind him. I can't use all of my strength. I don't want to kill anyone. I landed a heavy kick on the back of his head. He collapsed, unconscious. The ground below him cracked a tiny bit from the force of the blow. I think I'm getting used to controlling this power.

I glanced around, seeing that the other two were already knocked out. "Oh, one of them was actually my target. How convenient," Killua's voice said from behind me. I turned around, seeing him looking at three pins in his hand. Looks like he took the oldest's pin while I wasn't looking. "They don't have any extra pins?" I asked.
"Nope."
"Aw, then none of them are mine," I sighed, shoving my hands in my pockets. "You want the other two?" he asked, holding them up. Wait, that's... "I'll take 197."
"But not 198?"
"I have my reasons."
He shrugged and tossed me the badge. "Alright."
Hanzo-sensei needs this to move on.

I blinked my eyelashes dramatically, clasping my hands together. "Or could it be that you were actually concerned for little old me? Oh, Kil-chan! The sweetness of your heart blinds me so-"
"AKI!"

I laughed, dropping the act. "I'm kidding!" He sighed before shaking his head. "Seriously, I don't know who's more eccentric, you or Gon." He glanced down at 198 before drawing his arm back and throwing it- really throwing it- somewhere else on the island, far away. Like a mini frisbee. A deadly mini frisbee. Now the chances of anyone else finding it were super low. I guess this was where the Amori brothers dropped out.

"See you in a few days, if you pass," Killua said with a small grin, waving and walking away.
"I will pass!" I huffed.

As soon as Killua was gone, I held out the 197 badge. "Take it. It's yours, isn't it?"
A beat of silence passed. And then I heard laughter from the trees, but I couldn't quite pinpoint the source. "You're sharper than I thought." Hanzo dropped down from above. "You're willing to hand this over without a fight?"
"Of course."

Hesitantly, he took the badge. "Why? Not that I wanted to fight you, but wouldn't it be more beneficial to keep it?"
"Maybe. But I can make it on my own. So the only thing I'm really worried about is making sure five other people get through this safe and sound, and you're one of those people."
He blinked in genuine surprise. "I probably could've managed without your help, though I do appreciate it."
I shrugged. "Not taking any chances."

He tucked his badges safely away. "You keep managing to surprise me again and again. It's true that I wouldn't have found that pin again if Killua-kun threw it that far. I would've had to get three other points. And then I might've actually had to fight you."
I grinned. "If it came to that, I'd fight you too. But if I have an extra badge that belongs to one of my friends, I'll give it to them in a heartbeat."

Hanzo sighed. "You're a good person, Aki-kun. Don't let it be your downfall." I beamed. "Of course not, Sensei! That sounded really wise, by the way!"
His ego inflated again. "Haha, did it really?"
"Yeah, you sounded like a ninja sage!"