Nine

~Lance's POV~
I wake up and again find myself in Keith's arms. My face turns red as I carefully get myself away from him to take a shower. I need to think about this new information.

I strip off my pajamas, (I usually just wear boxers but that would be awkward.) I grab my outfit, my grey shirt with blue sleeves, jeans and cargo jacket.

I bring them into the bathroom to change into when I'm done. I turn the shower knobs so that it's pleasantly warm.

I let the water run down my back, I don't understand people who face the shower head.

So for seventeen years I've dealt with mean comments and bullying because of my ears, hair, and the blue marks before I started covering them up. But I might end up being alien royalty? Not even human?

I've never met my mother, she was presumed dead without her body being found. But I might have an alien father and sister who are alive. Wait... If this Allura does end up being my sister, I've called my sister hot. I think back to when I had to pull Keith into the restroom at school because he was getting so angry.

Him, this is all him. If he hadn't come here, then I would have lived a normal life. One without necessary risks for the good of the universe, where I might not come back alive. My friends wouldn't have been dragged into this.

Hunk wouldn't be pulled away from his parents, his cooking. Pidge wouldn't be pulled away from her parents and brother, from her work. But, if the fate of everything rests in our hands, I'm not gonna back away from this responsibility.

Why couldn't they have chosen somebody else as the blue paladin? Why me? I've never done anything worth recognizing, Pidge is a genius she skipped two grades and is still able to skip more. Hunk is friendly with everyone, would do anything for others.

Me? All I do is provide bad pick up lines and comedic relief. Even my foster family's didn't want me. The Waltens had taken me in for about a week before giving me back.

The Ryders knew the man in the picture who I thought was my dad. They couldn't bare to look at me.

I went through five other family's. Until I came to this one, it took a while for me to take down the emotional wall I'd built. Nobody gets through it quickly anymore.

Except Keith. Why? How? Why when I found him crashed in the woods, why did I try to help. He doesn't understand a lot of stuff here. Like apparently he doesn't know to knock before coming in a bathroom.

My face turns red when I remember that, but he had covered his face at least. I didn't even have on my foundation, but he doesn't mind the marks. That made him think I'm royalty.

But he's so sarcastic and inconsiderate. But he did help calm me down last night. It meant nothing, except that maybe he thinks of us as friends. I finish cleaning myself and step out of the shower.

I grab a towel and rub it over my hair, then wrap the dry side around my waist. I go through my normal routine, but stop for a moment when I grab my foundation. I look at myself in the mirror.

I rub my index finger over the light blue marks I had been so self conscious about for years. I put the thing back down without applying it.

I change into my clothes and walk out. He perks up when he sees me, "You didn't cover them up!" He says happily, I look at the floor biting my lip nervously. Then he asks, "Scarlet and Flynn are gone right?"

I stop myself from saying, but we haven't even had a first date, "Yea they're at work."

He nods and transforms back into his furry purple self with his shining eyes.

"I don't think I'll ever get uses to that, can any other species do that."

"Alteans."

"Really?! So I could've done cool magic for free to change my looks, instead of using foundation!" I exclaim a little too loudly.

"Yes," he pauses and seems to thing about what to say. Then adds, "But I think you look good like this."

"You wouldn't say that if you grew up on Earth, instead of Altea where apparently I look like royalty." I say angrily crossing my arms.

Out of the corner of my eye I see his ears pressed back against his head, a confused and pained expression on his face. So I add, "But I prefer Galra you over human you."

He looks at the floor then asks, "Are Pidge and Hunk coming?"

"Yes Hunk is scared he'll get in trouble for skipping school, and I think Pidge is excited."

"Cool, how are you feeling about this?"

"Conflicted." I say without any explanation or details. "What about you?" I ask him.

"Worried." His eyebrows furrow.

Veronica opens the door, "Are you coming, or you gonna walk to school?" She stares at Keith, "Well you can't when you look like that."

I look at the floor. She turns her attention to me, "Lance, uh, you got a little something under your eyes." She says.

"I've had it all my life, its natural." I reply without looking at her.

"Are you okay? Lance? Are you sick? Should you stay home?" I nod and she closes the door.

Soon I hear her car start and drive away.

Keith and I walk outside to see Pidge walking up the driveway. "Hey Lance, hey Keith. Ready to go to space like you always dreamed?"

I nod pretending to be fine, not to have thought everything I did in the shower. Hunk walks up behind her, out of breath. "I haven't walked that far in ages." He says.

When he catches his breath he looks up and nods at Keith and looks at me. "Wow, dude. I haven't seen those since elementary school," he says running his fingers under his eyes.

"Yea, we'll be in space, thought it was time to ditch the foundation." I say rubbing my arm with my hand.

Keith looks up, and we do the same to see something coming down from the sky. "That'll be our ship," Keith says.

It lands in the woods and we run over to where it landed.

When we get there a door opens and two people walk out. One is the Galra that called Keith that I recognize as  Shiro. The other is a pale man with red hair and mustache. He has pointed ears and dark blue marks under his eyes.

The red haired man locks eyes with me, his eyes widen and he hurries inside.

Shiro says, "I've kind of already met you all, Pidge, Hunk, Lance. But now we know you're the paladins. Keith told me he's explained most of it to you. But there are things we must all learn as the paladins. Those things, Allura will guide us through.

She's inside waiting for us, we will be taking off soon though. Shiro turns around and walks in the large ship, we all follow him.

~~~~~~
Okay I lied there will be one more chapter after this, but I promise it'll be the last one. This chapter was getting too long but I need one more part here before I'm finished.