Chapter 11 ~ The fire

It took them a day to get to the borders, where the border patrols had been waiting for them. Cirillo quickly got off his horse and started to give orders. About an hour later Ivelle was standing outside the patrol’s ward when she saw smoke. She rushed into the house to warn Cirillo. Pádráig and Cirillo had a quick look at the fire.

“It’s in Abonwan.” said Pádráig “There’s a farm on the other side of the Argenti River, over the Black Wood. Four family lives there.”

“We go there.” said Cirillo with determination in his eyes.

And indeed ten minutes later twenty of them were riding like hell towards the farm. They cut through the forest, and when they reached its end the view that unfolded was horrible. The whole farm was on fire: the farmhouse, the barn, the stables. Children were crying, people were screaming and shouting for help. Smoke and the smell of burnt flesh filled the air. it was hard to breathe and Ivelle felt like she’ll throw up. They tried to extinguish the fire but it was impossible. About ten armored soldiers stood around the farm with arrows and shoot those who tried t escape. A tall black-haired woman, with black clothes, was facing the fire.

“Áedh.” sai Cirillo “Take 10 soldiers and help the fugitives. We’ll take care of the soldiers. Leave the horses here.” The got off the saddle and rushed out of the forest. A man faced them and He had pale skin and long black hair and clothes just like the other soldiers. He went to the woman and said something to her. That was when it came into her mind. It was just like her dream. The woman looked at her. The boy. He had to be there. She rushed to the forest where she thought he must be. And truly the boy stood there, frozen and shocked.

“Hey, hey, look at me.” she said to the boy. “Look at me!” the boy hardly averted his gaze and looked into Ivelle’s eyes. “Everything is going to be okay.” she hugged him. The boy hugged her back and started crying.

“Papa’s dad.” she cried.

“And your mother?”

“Died when I was born.” Ivelle’s heart broke. Poor little boy. He had just become an orphan.

Just then the black-haired woman stepped out of the bush.

“How touching.” she said in a mocking tone “You two have finally met. How bad, you’ll have to die.”

“I don’t think so.” Ivelle drew out his sword and stepped in front of the boy. The woman gave her an evil smile then with a quick gesture the sword flew out of Ivelle’s hand.

“Stupid child, you can’t defeat me with a sword. I’m a sorceress. You can’t harm me.” her smile became eviler.

“No, you’re a witch.” said Merle stepping out f the bush “And I can.” she hit her with something that looked like a huge blue fireball. “Run Ivelle, I’ll handle her.” just then the woman turned into a raven and flew away. Ivelle picked up the boy and they ran back to the farm. The black soldiers were already dead or ran away.

“Ivelle! Where have you been?” asked Cirillo looking her over with concern.”

“We have to talk,” she said. Cirillo nodded and motioned to go a bit further. “Hey,” she said to the boy “stay here with Merle.” the boy nodded and Ivelle went with Cirillo.

“What’s wrong?” asked Cirillo.

“I...” she didn’t know what to say “I’ve already seen this.”

“What do you mean?” Asked the man confused.

“I had strange dreams.” she admitted “First only about the boy and his father. Then I saw this.” she showed around the place. Cirillo looked concerned and scared.

“When did you first see it?”

“I’ve only seen it twice: the day my mother died and nearly half a year ago.”

“I see...” he said thoughtfully “We have to tell this to the royals.”

She nodded. Then they went back to the farm and started their way back to the ward with the survivors. Ivelle wanted to take care of the little boy. She put him on Novalie and sit behind him. By the time they got back, he’d fallen asleep. Ivelle put him down on a bed and joined Cirillo, Pádraig, and the other leaders in the next room.

“What was that?” asked the human captain.

Pádraig and Cirillo changed a look.

“That armor...” started Pádraig “I last saw them when we defeated Erebos.” confused murmuring began.

“So are you saying that he’s back?” asked Áedh.

“No. We killed him and burnt his body.” said Cirillo “it’s more like somebody follows in his track.”

“Impossible.” said the human captain.

“No it’s not.” said Merle “The black-haired woman. She’s a witch. Her name was Farren and she was one of the greatest sorceresses. But then she met Erebos. Rumors have it they’d fallen in love. What we know for sure is that she became bad...really bad. Her new name is Delaney. She only obeys to Erebos or someone like him.”

Silence fell upon the room. Confused and tense silence.

" What are we going to do now? ” asked Ivelle.

" We’ll double the guards on our borders and go back to Lordell.” said Cirillo” Back there, we’ll hold a council and tell the royals everything. ”

Ivelle nodded. This was her idea too. She went back to the room where the boy was sleeping. She laid down to the bed next to him and fell asleep.

The next morning she woke up early and brought breakfast to the boy. He was sleeping peacefully and Ivelle didn’t want to wake her up. He woke up around 9 o’clock. Ivelle gave her breakfast and during this time he didn’t say a word.

“We didn’t have the chance to introduce ourselves properly.” she smiled “I’m Ivelle Preston. What’s your name?”

“Daven Lorette” he said curtly.

“Nice to meet you Daven.” she smiled at the little boy and he smiled back. It was a very weak smile, but it was a smile. And for now, it was enough.

“How old are you? ”

“Five.” He looked at Ivelle with his smart brown eyes. “What’s going to happen to me? ”

“What do you mean? ” Ivelle asked confused.

“I’m an orphan. I have nowhere to go. ”

“You can stay with me if you’d like to.” Ivelle smiled.

“That would be great. ” smiled the boy. Again, it was a weak smile, but a smile. Ivelle had a feeling that they’re going to get along well.