Chapter 6

Chase POV

"Get guards along the castle's border. If anything comes close, kill it." I give Nick strict instructions to tell the guards. He nods and runs off, getting soldiers from downstairs. I turn back to Phoebe.

"I'm sorry you had to see that." I whisper, taking her hand and bringing her closer to me.

"What was that? We should've helped or done something!"

"I'm sorry, that's just how things are. I'm just glad you're okay." I try to reason, soothing her hair.

"I'm sorry, I should've protected you better." I mumble. "No, it's not your fault. You protected me fine. I'm okay, see?" She pulls back, motioning to herself. "Kinda sucks how your first impression of the castle is this." I tell her, looking out the window. There are armies of guards swarming towards the borders. "It's normally more, you know, peaceful." Her brows furrow and she looks around the castle, slowly spinning as she takes in every feature. "It's okay, I get you." She replies. I smile back at her and take her hand in mine.

I take her towards the hall where I know Catherine would be. "Catherine!" I yell. I could hear the clangs of pots and pans from the other side of the room. "Coming!" I hear her yell. "Don't mind all the noise." I whisper into Phoebe's ear. She laughs back at me. Catherine comes out from behind the wall and her face glows with excitement when she sees Phoebe. "Cath, this is Phoebe." I say, motioning towards her. Catering comes running towards her and engulfing her into a hug. Her pale skinny arms wrap around her small waist, brushing against her exposed skin.

She lifts her up from the floor and I hear a small yelp escape from Phoebe's lips. "I'm excited to finally meet you!" She yells, dropping Phoebe back on the floor. "You're so pretty!" She squeals, squishing her cheeks with the thumb. "Geez Cath, don't kill her the first day you meet her." I joke. She glares back at me but then turns back to Phoebe. "You deserve so much better than that blueberry over there." She whispers not so quietly.

She averts her gaze from Phoebe back to me. "Can I steal her for some time?" She asks. I was actually planning to do something with her. Get to know her a bit more. I actually felt sad that she was being taken away from me. Most mates do, I guess. The separation between your mate and yourself. But I let her anyway. "Get Nick to take her around in an hour. Have fun." I walk closer to Phoebe and plant a kiss on her forehead. "Don't listen to anything this idiot says about me, okay?" She laughs and pulls away from me then walks with Catherine, their laughter to be heard echoing through the halls.

════ *.·:·. ☽ ✧ ✦ ✧ ☾ .·:·.* ════

"There are vampires along the borders and others guarding the east side where the attackers might come from." A guard explains to me. I dismiss him with a wave of my hand and let my head sink back down. I lean against the window, my hand balancing against it and giving my body some support. "You're becoming like your father." I hear Nick say behind me. "Thanks for the compliment." I say, though I know it's not. "Imagine having the power to have people do things for you with a wave of their hand? What an amazing life that would be." I hear him jumping down onto the couch. I can almost imagine him laying his legs on the coffee table with a bowl of popcorn in his hands. I turn around and see him in the exact picture I imagined him to be in.

"Want some?" He asks me through a mouth stuffed with popcorn. I ignore his question and sit back beside him. "What were the black witches doing there?" I whisper. I think back to a few hours ago, remembering the scenes that my eyes had observed. I should've done something.

"What could you have done though?" I said that out loud. "Anything. Something." I complain. My powers are capable of doing something. I should've.