Chapter 31

Chase POV

Laying flat on the ground, as a pool of water surrounds my body. It's body soaking into my clothes and irritating my skin while my eyes flutter open. I don't care about how my skin is slowly starting to itch or the fact that it'll leave a rash on my entire back. Because my mind keeps pacing back and forth, knowing that my Phoebe is probably dead. My body floats midair and rises upwards. My gaze lays upwards, staring up at an orange sky, cloudless and pigmented ever so perfectly. Slowly, my body started to tilt downwards from my feet. They laid down on the water coated floor and dropped my weight downwards. I know where I am, I tell myself. But my mother was nowhere to be seen.

Miles and miles of countless hours I'd spent, walking through the lake that seemed to go on and on forever. My shoes were soaked as I kept going, losing track of where I was and where I'd come from. Moving closer to me, I figure stood at the very end of the horizon. The orange sky behind him, illuminating his posture. He strode closer to me as I slowly started to pace faster. Why I was here, I didn't know. But whoever had sent me here was the key for me to get out. Walking slowly, the figure grew larger as he neared, illuminating his presence as my Uncle Cassius.

My eyes grew large at the sight of him. He wore a warm yet mischievous smile and he grinned so hard, his eyes squinted tiny. I stepped back and stopped in my tracks, my gaze not leaving his. He slowly started to walk closer, sending my feet to back up behind me. "Hello, Chase." His voice was grim and thick as if he hadn't spoken in years. He still looked the exact same as I remembered. In fact, he was in the exact same shape as he was when he died. He wore the same gown and there was blood splattered across his chest. His hair was all crumbled and messy on his head. "Cassius," I mutter under my breath, breathless. My mind had stopped working and I faltered that I was still dreaming. No Chase, you're not in the realm of the dead, you are dreaming, I try to tell myself but as much as I try, I know I was very wrong.

"How are you, boy?" He asks, leaning closer and giving me a toothed smile. His teeth are all wrecked and disgusting, making me want to puke. His question rattles me. 'I'm fine thanks, my wife is dead and I'm meant to die now that I have no mate but I have to run a kingdom so no, I'm not fine.' I look away and reply, "I'm okay." He notices my hesitation and steps back, his head held high as he looks down at me up and down. 

"Tell me child, how are you enjoying those powers of yours?" The smirk in his voice is thick and eager, teasing me. My jaw twitches and my teeth press together, clenching my hands together as I look back at him. "You cursed me, Cassius." I say through gritted teeth. He snickers and laughs. "Cursed?" He yells, offended. "My boy, I have done you a tremendous favor." His voice raises and it echoes throughout the atmosphere, traveling for miles. His voice is more of a smile, proud of his actions. His hands lift up into the air and around his sides, twirling around and looking up into the sky as he mutters over and over, a favor.

This man was sick and mad. "You cursed me with your darkness." I fight back, raising my voice higher. He stops smiling and his face grows red, serious and dead. His hands drop down to his sides and he stops twirling around. "I've helped you!" He bellows, his voice roaring into my ears and sending goosebumps all over me. I felt like a helpless child, getting scolded by their own parents. "Son, I have helped you dearly." He says, low and grimly. "And you don't even appreciate your gift." He mutters back. I can feel my blood boil and my rage start to thunder. "A gift!?" I start. "Gifts are meant to be something you enjoy. This isn't a gift. This is foul and horrific. The type that scares children at night. The type that can tear kingdoms apart." I fight back. Cassius seems amused by my rage and he stops to start grimacing.

"Well look at that, your gift has suited you well." He comments, motioning towards my anger. He looks down at my hands and I follow his gaze. They're balled into fists and they've turned pale white. When I stretch them out, my palm is bleeding with fingernail dents in the centre from the impact they'd put on them. I bite my gum in irritation and look back up at him. "What do you want, Cassius." I spit. He fakes an offended expression and holds a hand to his chest. "Feisty." He mutters. "I brought you up here, expecting a thank you but I seem to be wronged." He starts, tugging at his sleeves.

"I would never, never in a million years ever thank you." I grit at him, expelling every word out of my mouth. Cassius's face scrunches up and I can see the anger bellow deep inside of him. But then he eases. His facial expression drops and he looks down. Something about him was different. He seemed less heavy and powerful, like he'd been drained out. I could feel my aura hyping and sending my adrenaline into tumbles. Without a warning, it seeps out of me and surrounds the both of us. Cassius senses it and smirks. The crimson dust circles around him in a hug, flowing around his body. "Oh, I've missed you." I hear Cassius murmur under his breath, letting his hands out for the aura to cover.

I pull back, the aura seeping back inside of me. Cassius opens his eyes and smirks. "Oh Chase, this isn't about you. This is about the future. Hundred of years in time. You'll thank me." He says, cryptically. He starts to hover backwards, disappearing into the horizon. His voice whispers into my ear one last time, speaking, "You'll see. One day, you will."