Ch.12

I was ever so glad that our return trip fell on the weekend. It gave me some time to think, to compose my thoughts. Although, I think that there will never be enough time for me to understand Dylan's thought process.

I was so sure that Dylan was going to confess his love for me during our trip.

As lay on my living room floor, staring up at the ceiling, surrounded by food wrappers and the tv glaring at me in the background, my mind began to review the events that transpired between Dylan and me of that week.

What happened between the time that we were at dinner to when we were sitting in the room together? Was it the phone call that made the difference?

I realized that it wouldn't do me any good to stay cooped up in my apartment all weekend. I needed someone to vent to; someone who would cut straight to the point and feed me harsh realities.
If I stayed home, I knew that my mind would convince that I misinterpreted the whole week, and I knew that I would eventually call Dylan.

I jumped up and ran to my room to get my phone. Charlie was the only one who could pull me out of this stupor.

"HELLO!", Charlie cried almost deafening me in the process. I understood why she was shouting as I distinctly heard the roaring of music in the background.

"What the hell, Charlie!" I shouted back at her. "You can't seriously be at a party at this hour." I was pretty annoyed, and I am sure she heard that in my voice.

"HOLD ON!" Charlie shouted again.
I could hear shuffling on the other end of the phone. Then, the noise in the background stopped, and I could  hear her clearly.

"Hey Alex, what's up?" She asked timidly.

I sighed. "Really,Charlie. How on earth can you be partying at twelve o'clock in the afternoon? Honestly, you never cease to amaze me." I shook my head in disbelief knowing that she couldn't see.

"First of all, I am disappointed that you would even think that I would be partying at this hour." I could hear the obvious sass in her voice.
" I'll have you know that I am at a live rehearsal for one of our bands. Now, what's up?", she asked.

For the sake of a good conversation, I apologized, not that she is without guilt. I've had the opportunity of being present at a few of her band parties and I've found myself reaching home at strange times.

I whispered softly, wistfully and sadly , "I almost had him, Charlie."

She instantly knew what I was talking about. "Oh...no, love," I heard her say. "Tell me what happened...Actually, are you home? I'm coming to you, right now."

"What about your gig?" I asked.

"My coworker is here. I'll just let him know it's an emergency", she paused. "I know how long you've been hoping for this. Your feelings are the important thing right now.

********************************************
How she got from Hudson St. to 86th St. so quickly is a wonder.

Charlie appeared in less than an hour toting a venti Chai tea latte and a box of donuts.

" I figured you might need a pick me up, so I brought snacks." I stood dumbfounded.
This girl never ceases to amaze me.

Charlotte Johnson, or Charlie as I call her is as unique as anyone can get. We met during a one off spin class and became friends as we both declared that we were never going back.

Only Charlie can pull off such a blasé attitude and style with her hair cut short and dyed such a bright color. As if she couldn't get any cooler, she currently works as an assistant music manager and has a South London accent.

"Love, what are you staring at? Come sit down, tell Auntie Charlie your troubles," she said while patting the space on the couch next to her. I went and sat next to her ready to rehash what happened.

I recalled the story to her and if I was in a better mood, her facial expressions would have been laughable. There was a pause as I finished the story; the expression on Charlie's face was tense. Then, she jumped up suddenly-

"That witch! After all that she's put him through, now she wants to have a baby! I can't stand her! How could Dylan let her manipulate him so!" Charlie was shouting all this and a few profanities as she marched up and down my living room.

" I know he feels something for you. I've seen both of you together. Love like that doesn't come around often. I know there's the issue of them being married, and I know that I shouldn't encourage this, but I have never seen two people so in sync like you and Dylan."

I sat quietly watching her as she paced. She stood still in the middle of the floor and turned to me. I have never seen such a pitying look on someone's face.

"Even more so, Alex, Dylan isn't t without blame." She paused and thinned her lips. "He can't keep stringing you along. I know how loyal a person he is, and, love, by the looks of it, there's no guarantee that he will leave her. You know how she can be. They've been married for a while, they have secrets together, they have shared memories and experiences. She'll use all of that to get him to stay."

She sighed and came to sit next to me, looping her arm in mine.

"What are you going to do? The fact that kids might be in the midst of this is serious. Yes, it hasn't happened yet, but Dylan needs to man up. He can't keep saying and doing things that make you fall even more in love with him, and not commit to you. You don't deserve this, and I wish that you wouldn't put yourself through this. So you have to decide what you want to do— will you give up on a relationship with him or will you continue to fight for him ?"

Everything that she said made sense to me. And in my head I knew that I should let go of Dylan—completely. But my heart was nostalgic. My heart knew everything that we had been through together. Everything that we had shared, and it didn't want to let go.

Charlie rested her temple against mine and blew out a slow breath.

"Whatever you decided to do, I'm here for you."

Charlie's words echoed in my head.

I was at crossroad, and I needed to decide before other permanent decisions made my choice for me.

Charlie dropped the topic knowing that I would need some time to think about my choice. She spent the rest of the afternoon trying to cheer me up.
I was able to get my mind off of Dylan for a while and have fun with my friend.
********************************************

Most of the weekend, I tried to fool myself into thinking that I was okay. Even when I went to church with my Gran on Sunday, I didn't hear most of what the preacher said as my mind was utterly consumed with Him.

I think that Gran sensed that something was wrong as I saw her look at me worryingly a few times, but she knew that if there was something wrong that I would talk to her in my own time. If she only knew what I was thinking about, she would be very disappointed.

That night when I went to bed, I had no idea what I was going to do on Monday when I saw Dylan in office, but clearly I was a glutton for punishment. Because —

Monday morning, here I was, walking towards his office,in red bottoms and the most form fitting, yet office appropriate outfit I could find.

It seemed like I had unconsciously made up my mind—I would fight for him.

I was less than five feet away from his office, when the phone in my hand began to vibrate.

I looked at the screen to see who was calling.

Adan.

My stomach flipped at the sight of his name, and it made me even more confused about my decision. I closed my eyes to calm my racing heart. I was already nervous because of what I was about to do, and him calling was not helping the situation.

I had to see it through.

I had to know.

So, I silenced the call, and headed towards my goal.