16 - I am Red

Anchor up to me love–Anchor

Another Sunday with Ally's family rolls around and it's mom's turn to host. I don't know when they created the odd schedule but every fortnight is the next person's turn. I suppose.

Mom has been in the kitchen for about three hours now because she is such a perfectionist who cannot stand having dinner with guests without receiving or giving compliments on the food. I've popped in twice to nick something to eat. I'm not proud of my decisions but cooking for that long and hence, starving your kids for that long is atrocious.

When 7pm rolls around, she's finally settled and Charlotte is lounging in the living room–upside down–reading a novel.

The door bell rings and I approach the door since I'm the only unoccupied individual.

"Ally," I smile when I pull open the door and she's standing right outside with a bottle of wine in hands. Kayla is stood on her left and Miles, on her right. "Good evening."

"How are you doing, Starr?" She asks, as I step aside to let them in.

"I'm good, you?"

"Oh, I'm lovely," She responds. "Where's your mom?"

One of the reasons I absolutely adore Ally as my therapist is that she's brilliant at separating her work life from her personal life. It's like I know two completely different versions of her. She's as professional as they come.

"Just in the kitchen," I reply and turn to smile at Kayla. "Hey."

She grins back and saunters off. Miles is the last to step in. The moment he does, the air thickens with his cologne–the heady, fresh smell a welcoming allure to my senses. He's the only one I refuse to look up to or smile at.

"Hey," He says, shutting the door behind him. We're the only ones left in the short hallway now. His eyes roam over my body and his lips tease a smile. "You look good."

My eyes dart up to meet his, hopefully hardening at his sight. "Should I not?" I bite back.

My response is unwarranted and sounds painfully annoyed. Like I'm trying to get back at him for something. He notices this and his brows arch up at my tone.

"Dear God," He says, his feigned sweetness disappearing. "And what did I do now, Galaxy?"

"Stop calling me that," I shoot back, completely ignoring his question. "Just leave me alone today, okay?"

I turn to leave but his fingers close around my arm, pulling me back to him. His eyes assess my face for a couple of seconds before he speaks. "You're serious? What's wrong?"

I visibly swallow as his eyes remain fixed on my face, darting to my mouth with every millisecond that passes by.
It takes every will power in me to not melt right on the spot. To not give in to what is familiar to me. To stand my ground and not give him the pleasure of watching me crumble.

"Fuc–"

"Starr! Miles!" Our moms' voice echoes and I watch his face remain amusingly frozen at my attempt at cussing him out.

"Coming!" I call back instead and jerk out of his hand before heading to the table.

Everyone else is already seated. Our moms are on opposite sides and Kayla is sat right next to Charlotte, discussing God knows what. I take one of the remaining spare seats and give my mom a tight lipped smile, my heart lightly hammering against my ribcage.

It takes Miles a few minutes to make his appearance and when he does, he chooses to torture me and sits right next to me.

And just like that, dinner commences. Everyone else engaging in conversations that they deem comfortable to them. Miles and I are the only silent ones. I don't even have an appetite and I can't help but push my food around with my cutleries as I think up things I might want to do after dinner.