Chapter Six

M A R E E N A

I smile as I place the plate of fried sandwiches on a plate. Based on the contents of the kitchen I decided to make Monte Cristos. I turn off the fryer and unroll my sleeves. "You done ReRe?", I turn around smiling to see Chris sitting at the high wooden table leaning his head on his hand.

I like him. He's funny and it feels like I've know him longer that the 2 hours that I have.

I nod my head and he jumps up and grabs one along with a paper towel. "Aye wait till they get downstairs. We gotta say grace."

He huffs and sets the monte cristo down. I pick up the wall phone and call Steven's extension that's on the sheet on the wall.
It rings twice before he picks up. "Hello." his deep voice grumbles.

"Hey boo. The foods ready. Come to the kitchen,", the words escaped my mouth smoothly. I suddenly feel very playful and I didn't really think about what I was going to say before I said it.

I quickly hang up the phone with a big grin on my face.

"Look at ReRe!",Chris shouts smirking at me. I look down still smiling. I start washing the dishes thinking about what I just did. I wonder how he reacted. I hear the kitchen door open and I continue washing the dishes with a sheepish smile on my face. I hear their footfalls and assume their seated at the table with Chris.

I slowly walk to the table and take a seat beside Alana. "Bow your heads. Close your eyes."

"Dear Lord, we Thank you for today. Thank you for bringing us here today and for waking us up and starting us on our way. We thank you for this food and pray that you bless it. We thank you for loving us truly unconditionally and providing. Lord, I pray that you help me to remember brick by brick chip by chip. In your Holy name we pray

"Amen."

We all the pick up the fried sandwiches and as soon as he takes the first bite Steven groans in delight. We all stare at him with our unbitten sandwiches in hand.

He stops chewing and his expression looks a bit embarrassed. I raise an eyebrow at him and smirk in amusement. With a slight blush on his face he gulps down the bite. He clears his throat and grumbles out, "It tastes really good.".

I send him a bright smile and start eating. A few jokes and Monte Cristos later everyone is finished eating. The whole time Steven has been taking long glances at me. I stared back once and he sent me a flirtatious wink.

Whew okay my playfulness just got it's reaction.

"MeMe, what were those.",Alana squeals holding up a Monte Cristo.

"It's a Monte Cristo Lanawana.", I say smiling.

"And MeMe?" I ask quirking my eyebrow.

A  deep blush appears on her chubby cheeks and she smiles sheepishly. "Well I did wanna make you uncomfortable calling you Mommy, but you kind of act like it.", she says softly. Her droopy hooded hazel eyes flit around nervously as she shifts in her chair.

I freeze and my throat feels heavy with the urge to cry. Silence falls in the kitchen and Alana's eyes skit around nervously. I furrow my brows as I realize the depth of what she said.

Where are their parents?

Steven seems to be only a few years older than me and Alana is 16. It's been established that their siblings and based on my observations I assumed they were raised by their grandparents.

A low growl breaks my train of thought and I glance over at Steven to see that he is furious. His angular jaw is clenched and his fists are balled up on the table. The vein in his muscular neck is bulging and I think I just saw his left eye twitch.