8: The Start of Something New

"Hi," a familiar voice spoke from behind my locker's door, breaking me from my trance. I hid the note and closed the locker to see Manson leaning against the wall.

I draw my eyebrows together in a frown. "Hmm, hi."

He didn't say anything and simply stared at me with a big smile on his mouth. I could have almost been blinded by how white his teeth were.

"Do you need something?" I asked, getting more and more confused as time passed.

Not once did Manson talked to me, before we bumped into each other, so him talking to me again was... odd? I mean I knew who he was, like every other student did.

He's not the most popular student or anything, but he lingered on that side since he's in the school's football team and his father was the mayor of this town.

What made this even more surprising was that I was certain he didn't know who I was. Understandably, the school was big, and I didn't really socialize with anyone except Noah and Micah. Plus, we never shared classes before.

"Would you like to join me for lunch today?" he asked. If I was surprised before, now I was astonished.

"Why?" I blurt out, not even trying to hide my perplexity.

He scratched the back of his head, making his biceps flex and show up through his shirt. Even I was not immune to the strong muscular body of a sports guy.

I blame my hormones.

I never really had any interest in guys, but that does not mean I don't appreciate their existence, especially when they're handsome.

"I guess... cause' I think you're cute, and I want to get to know you," he answered, and his full lips turn up into a shy smile.

I felt warmth creeping on my cheeks while millions of questions are racing through my head. Cute. Just like the note said.

Look at that, apparently, more than one person thinks I'm cute. Who would've thought? Or maybe... Could he be my secret admirer?

No, that was impossible, there was no way he would be interested in me. But then again it was the only thing that made sense. I mean, one person thinking that is already quite unbelievable, but two?

Nah, it must be a joke. A prank maybe? A dare?

"Sorry, but I always have lunch with my friend Noah and I'm not going to ditch him just because you suddenly realized that you're somehow attracted to me," I stated, without any filter.

That's who I was. I'm not taking part in this sort of joke.

He chuckled before he looked at the floor, a frown on his face, biting his lip, and I immediately regretted what I said.

That was exactly why guys never saw me as something more than a friend. I was too brusque, impulsive, and more times than I cared to admit I didn't stop to consider the feelings of people before opening my mouth.

"You can join us if you'd like?" I said, hoping to redeem myself.

My self-condemnation was quickly dissolved as Manson looked up again with the most ecstatic smile plastered on his face. "Great, I'll see you then. By the way, I didn't 'suddenly' realize it."

He left, not bothering to wait for my reply, leaving me with so many questions flowing through my head...

I wanted to know more about him, to make sure he wasn't just playing with me, but I didn't have the courage to ask around. I almost asked some of the girls in my class that loved gossip, but quickly forgot the idea as I remembered that they loved gossip.