Chapter 7: Sunlight

Angel is harassing me. She claims she hasn't heard from me in days, and she's sick and tired of all this silence. Angel, being the loudest person in the world, is personally offended by people who are too quiet. I personally offend her often.

I tell her I'm busy, I'm doing pet-sits. But she obviously sees right through me.

@darkxangel.1: Will.

@foreignfilms33: no

@darkxangel.1: you don't even know what I'm going to say yet.

@foreignfilms33: I can assume

@darkxangel.1: Hannah and I are going to the nature preserve later. 

@foreignfilms33: good for you

@darkxangel: come with us

@foreignfilms33: what for?

@darkxangel: for fun.

I'm not convinced. "For fun" is something Angel would never say. Doing useless things purely for the fun of it escapes her comprehension. I elect to ignore her text. Instead, I finish a cigarette and walk next door to do my pet-sit. Unfortunately, she blows up my phone the entire time I work on feeding the dog, watching it run around the yard. In fact, she even calls me.

She lets out an overdramatized sigh of relief that hurts my ear as soon as I answer the phone with a sharp, "What?!" Angel never calls, in fact, she despises people that even consider calling her as a form of communication.

"Just wanted to make sure you were even ALIVE!" She yells into my already ringing ear. The next thing I know there's a scuffle of noise as she apparently thrusts the phone into Hannah's hand, because her girlfriend's soft voice takes over.

"Hey Will."

"Hi Hannah." I mutter awkwardly.

"Angel really wants you to come to the nature preserve with us." She says sweetly.

"What for?" I ask, trying not to sound as judgmental as I would if Angel were speaking to me.

"Because M—" but there's a loud, sssshhhhhhhh sound that drowns out whatever else she was about say, another jerking noise, and Angel's loud voice over the speaker again. I have to hold the phone away from my ear as her obnoxious tone just about screams,

"We just MISS you!!" At this point I'm convinced there's something fishy going on.

"Are you actually trying to get me to go with you to Violet's youth group because I already told her..."

"Of course not." Angel interrupts sounding annoyed.

"Angel, if you won't tell me why it's so urgent, there's no way I'm going to the nature preserve with you."

"Ugh." She moans. I wait, but she doesn't give in.

"We're picking you up at 2." She tells me.

"Goddamn it, Angel." The line goes dead. I want to throw my phone across the room.

My mom is back when I get home. I must look flustered because she turns to me as I stomp into the kitchen with a look of concern on her face.

"What's going on?"

With a grunt, I answer, "My friends are bothering me." 

"What are they doing?"

"Angel has been harassing me all morning to go to the nature preserve with her and Hannah."

"Why?"