Smoke and Pain

YOUMIN

"You're lead sniping. I won't be there this time."

I nod. He marks a building, pointing at the top floor. It's blended into the surrounding structures— and I focus my attention to memorizing the spot.

"Your position will be here. I'll be close by, but I'm part of the team going in."

His dark eyes lift.

"Understand?"

I nod my head. I'd be alone this time— alone in the top of that building, watching for counter snipers.

"There will always be someone that will be looking for you." He says, voice quieter. "Find them first, before they find you. And you've already killed once, means you can do it again."

I swallow.

"Don't disappoint me."

This was my real debut mission. The last one I'd gone with Taehyung was more like a trial— where I was supposed to watch.

But I had a given part now.

And I knew if I stepped out of line for even a second— I would be punished severely by the higher-ups.

But Taehyung would punish me the most.

"Answer me, Youmin."

I bite down on my lip. Then I nod, fingers tightening into my palm.

"I promise I won't disappoint you."

_________________________

Calm down.

I peek through my scope, eyes narrowed as I scan over the dark windows. It was extremely difficult to find someone in this darkness— and under cover at this night.

And the fear.

Any second, I could get hit. If he found me before I did, my life was over in that moment.

I keep holding my breath.

But below me, I can sense that the mission is going well. Taehyung and his team had successfully broken into enemy base a long time ago— and it didn't look like there was much trouble.

I hoped he was safe.

He had to be.

Looking back, I start searching again. I check every window— for any unusual shape behind its frames.

Then I find him.

A low, hidden figure. It's a miracle I even spotted him in the first place— but now that I've found him, I see the glint of his gun, the shape of his head.

My hands tremble as I aim, fingertip resting on the trigger.

He might find you any second. Just do it.

Just do it.

I'm not worried than I'll miss. My aim is perfect— and my calculations are flawless. But that other sniper. I'd kill him, and he won't even know it.

Shoot!

And I pull the trigger.

The gun jerks into me in recoil, and I hear the hushed shot as the silencer quiets the sound. Just like that, and it's over.

I confirm my hit.

Taehyung would be proud of me. I force myself to forget about the person I've killed— he would've killed me and the people below me if I hadn't.