P R O L O G U E

I walked down the stairs after I got ready for school to see a mountain of chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and maple syrup on the dining table

"Happy Birthday sweetheart," my mom said as she walked to me and kissed my cheek. 

"Thank You," I said.

I ran to the table and started stuffing my face full of pancakes as my dad walked downstairs towards the table. 

He came up behind me and kissed my forehead "Happy birthday darling". 

"Thanks," I said with food in my mouth.

"Finish up Ana, Lilith should be here to pick you up for school," my mom said. 

"Today you will meet your mate aren't you excited," she said. 

I smiled at the thought of meeting my mate, the love of my life. 

"Yes," I said as my dad sat down with a frown on his face. 

"You are growing up too fast, darling," he said.

I laughed and said, "I am eighteen, dad". 

"Yes, practically a baby," he said smiling.

I rolled my eyes, my dad is very overprotective of me since I am his daughter and only child. My parents met on my mom's eighteen birthday and my dad was two years older than her. It was love at first sight for them and a year later they got married and had me. A knock at the door brought me back from my thoughts and walked up to the door. Opening it I saw my best friend Lilith. 

She gathered me into a hug and knocked the breath out of me "Happy Birthday Ana" she said.

"Let go you are about to kill me," I said laughing. 

"Whoops," she says letting go, "Aren't you excited today's the day you meet your mate," she said.

"Oh my god yes," I said, "I am finally meeting him," I said letting out a squeal. 

Lilith and I have been friends since we met in kindergarten. I was sitting alone on the playground until she walked up to me and shared her snack with me after that we have been inseparable. We all live in the Dark Moon pack and my dad is a warrior while my mom is a middle school teacher. Werewolf packs are gated communities and have werewolves school within so we don't have to interact with the humans and make them suspicious. Everyone goes through their shift when they are thirteen and are gifted with a wolf, mine is a gray wolf.

I grab my bag and head out with Lilith to go to our school. As we walk all I could think about is my mate and who he could be. I went through the first half of school without meeting him and headed to lunch with Lilith. We sat at our usual table along with Gray, Reed, and Ruby. Gray is Lilith's twin brother while Reed and Ruby became our close friends in middle school.

"Hey, guys," I said. Ruby jumped on me and said "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!". 

"Thanks," I said laughing as the boys also gave me their wishes. 

"Did you meet him yet?" Reed asked, "Nope" I said. 

"Maybe I won't even be meeting him today," I said, shrugging disappointed that I had to wait longer to meet my mate.

 "It's ok, we have a lifetime to meet whoever our mate is," Lilith said.

 I shrugged and said "Yeah, maybe"

We continued on the day with nothing out of the ordinary happening until I reached my sixth-period class. As I was walking to Calculus I smelled sandalwood and vanilla coming from behind me. 

"MATE, MATE" my wolf screamed in my head as an arm dragged me from behind into a janitor's closet. 

When I looked into the eyes of my mate I saw Alpha Kingsley also known as Axel Kingsley, looking back at me. 

I went to go hug him but he pushed me back and growled "Don't f**cking touch me". 

I whimpered and went back to my side and asked "Why?". 

"I don't want you, you aren't a good fit to be Luna, you are too weak" he said.

"No, please just give me a chance" I begged. 

"I'm sorry, I Alpha Axel Kingsley of Dark Moon reject you, Analise Kade of Dark Moon, as my mate and Luna of the pack".

Tears started running down my face as I collapsed to the floor when the bond broke. I weakly said "I accept your rejection" and then he left the room. 

I don't know how long went by until I ran back to the house and cried for hours until I fell asleep. The next thing I know when I woke up I was in pain from the final step of the rejection, claiming another. I ran out into the woods and let my wolf come out to howl in pain. When I got back in the morning I saw my phone with many text messages from my parents and friends. I quickly wrote down my letters, left them on the desk and ran to the border before anyone could catch me.

I couldn't stay here anymore and watch my ex-mate declare his new mate and crown her as luna.

 Once I got to the border I said "I Analise Kade break my bond with the Dark Moon Pack". 

After that, I ran into the forest, stopped and looked back once, and thought "Sorry Mom and Dad for not being good enough". 

Without a second thought I ran forward into the darkness with only the sound of the wind hitting the tree as my company.

Thank you for reading the prologue of Darkened. See you in the first chapter of my book.

Check out TikTok for added aesthetics: https://www.tiktok.com/@xelegiicx

FOLLOW VOTE COMMENT