Chapter 13: The Definition of True Friends

A cold breeze blew outside. As the winter was about to come, many people were wearing thick clothes to school. I rubbed my hands as white vapor came out from my muzzle. My hand was shaking so much that I couldn't feel it. The walk to school never felt this long before.

This situation kinda reminds me of the day I died in the past life. It had already been around a month since I arrived in this world, yet that moment was still vivid to me. The red snow, the unbearable pain, the numb coldness, and that person's blurry figure.

I looked up at the not-so-bright sky. I wondered what he was doing right now.

Suddenly, a familiar figure passed by in the street. I quickly turned around to see that person. Riding Harley, they wore a lined denim jacket and jeans. A helmet was covering their head.

They rode so fast that I nearly missed them.

For a moment, I thought they were my friends, but then I quickly dismissed that thought. This was a different world. Just because they rode the same kind of vehicle and wore the same type of clothing didn't mean they were the same person. I didn't even know their gender. Even if he somehow miraculously followed me here he won't even recognize me.

A strange knot could be felt inside my chest. Ever since I realized that I could never see him again, I ...f*ck. This is the first time I've felt this way since he was the first—and maybe the only—person I treasured in the past life. It was a new experience, a painful one.

I miss him.

I really miss him.

***

Today we had a sports class. As the weather was literally freezing outside, we were playing basketball on the indoor basketball court.

"Wow! Did you see that?" Troylen exclaimed as he watched the match. "I didn't know Rannier could jump that high."

Rannier was dribbling the ball as he tried to find an opening in his opponent. His ears which were tied as ponytail swayed as he slipped through the opposing team. His movement was smooth and fast compared to his classmates who played like girls. Before long, he scored another point, followed by a two-handed high five from his team.

"I have never seen him play before. Well, I never watch any of our school matches to begin with though, hehe..." He scratched his cheeks bashfully. "It seems he is popular in school. I heard that he is the ace of our school basketball team. No wonder he looks so skilled."

Well, of course. Compared to our other classmates who were as lazy as I am, an athlete like him would no doubt shine like a star. If you wanted to compare his skill, do it in a real match, not in a PE lesson like this. But it was true that he has some skill, even me who didn't have any knowledge of basketball or any other sport could see that.

Although he looked kinda tired after some sets of matches, he still played energetically. It seems he enjoyed it as he played with a smile full of confidence.

Suddenly the teacher blew the whistle to stop the match and called him out. It seems he told him to rest as he played the match continuously. He just nodded his head while panting. Sweat dripped down from his forehead to his chin. He used the tip of his gym shirt to wipe the sweat on his face, showing his stomach which had a slight abs line behind his fur.

I looked down on my own stomach while rubbing it.

"Tsk." I clicked my tongue. "Traitor."

Just when I thought that our body posture was similar. Well, what did I expect from an athlete?

"What?" Troylen, who heard my complaint, asked in confusion.

"Nothing."

There is no way I would voice out my complaint, right? It won't be cool.