22) "Seventy-Six"

Kasra led the way as Seventy-Six followed her into the elevator. She clicked the arrow pointing downwards then the glass doors shut. As the elevator began to move, she asked Seventy-Six how many times he had been to the Underground. He took a moment to think about then told her once. It was the time that led him to be captured and tortured by Mars. There were no fond memories of him in the Underground, just death and pain.

The light from the sun dimmed as they reached the Underground. Seventy-Six could already hear the loud industrial work being done in the area. He followed Kasra out of the elevator. They stepped into the corridor which had a large assembly room adjacent to it. Through the glass, Seventy-Six watched as several Martians were putting together parts of a spaceship. Kasra caught his gaze and asked how much he thought they made an hour. Seventy-Six shrugged. It looked like a job that paid decently due to the amount and kind of work being done. Mars could never not use any more ships. He told her $25 which led her to burst into laughter. She explained to him that they were making $15 to $17 an hour. Seventy-Six didn't want to believe it. Things had changed since he last lived on Mars. An assembly worker made at least $25 an hour on the surface, so he wondered why the Underground was so different. Kasra noticed his confusion and offered to shed light on the situation of the people who lived Underground. Seventy-Six shook his head and suggested they keep moving.

Kasra came to a stop in the city center, it was the hub that connected each Underground Mars territory to each other. There were some stores and a run down mall with a glitchy hologram display. There numerous people making their way to and from the city center. Some were going to work, others home, while some went to pay respects to the bronze statue of Gregory Horton, honoring the first colonizer of the Underground.

Seventy-Six reminded Kasra that they had a rally to attend. She smiled and told him that she knew, but that taking in Underground sights would help her with her speech. He asked where the rally would even take place and she told him it would be in the church by the greenhouse as she led him to it.

Kasra and Seventy-Six entered the church. There was an altar in front of a golden tabernacle at the front. Next to the tabernacle, was a tall metal crucifix that towered over everything near it. Stained glass windows of Michael the Archangel and Mary were positioned on the left and right sides of the church respectfully. There were five metal pews on each side which varied in occupancy. Seventy-Six counted a total of fifteen people in the church, three of them being Task Force members excluding himself.

Seventy-Six looked at Kasra and noticed her right hand was trembling. "Nervous?"

"Just a bit," Kasra admitted.

"I'd be surprised if you weren't. I won't lie to you, your life will change after this. No doubt people will come after you and those who follow you. But my team and I, we'll keep you safe."

Kasra looked at her trusted followers in the pews. "What about them?"

Seventy-Six tried to think of a delicate way to answer her, but she would not like the response regardless. "We'll do what we can."

"I understand. Come on."

Seventy-Six followed Kasra down the nave. He entered the fourth pew on the left side where Thirty-Five, Thirty, and Twenty were. He sat down at the end of the pew next to Thirty who he was surprised to see at the rally. She detested politics so it was odd to see her there. Moreover, she was not who he invited. "Where's Zero?" he asked her.

"Blowing off steam," Thirty answered.

"For?"

Thirty sighed in frustration. "Come on, Seventy-Six. Elias didn't send us to get Beta. Then he sends us on this political mission. And, as far as we know, there's no plan for us to even go get Beta off of Titan. Look, I don't like her just as much as the next guy for what she did. But Zero deserved to get to see her."