Chapter 8

Only a few months into her studies, Atalanta had become good friends with Barb, telling her about her home of techno reef along with knowledge she learned about other tribes. She also learned how to play guitar and tuning her voice to sound less technical and computer like. She would try to practice as much as she could everyday, usually playing her guitar for hours on end trying different songs.

Barb let Atalanta practice with her crew sometimes, consisting of her, her friend Carol and Riff. After practice one day Atalanta was packing up her guitar when she heard someone singing, she could tell it was a guy. Looking around she noticed Riff, packing up his drum set, lowly singing.

Blood by My Chemical Romance

"Well they encourage your complete cooperation, send ya roses when they think you need to smile. I can't control myself because I don't know how and they love me for it honestly, I'll be here for a while!"

He quietly sang to himself jumping around putting away his instrument. Atalanta wondered why he didn't sing more often,
he was pretty good at it.

"So give them blood, blood, gallons of the stuff. Give them all that they could drink and it'll never be enough. So give them blood, blood, bloood, grab a glass because there's going to be a flood!"

Atalanta just sat and listened to him sing, leaning on a guitar case, not that sturdy....

"A celebrated man amongst the gurneys, they can fix me proper with a bit of luck. The doctors and the nurses they adore me so but it's really quite alarming cause I'm such an awful..."

Suddenly she came crashing down onto the backstage floor, causing Riff to stop singing and turn around.

"Oh! I didn't realize you were still here... are you alright?" Riff asked shuffling over to Atalanta to help her up.

"Huh... I'm fine..." Atlanta chuckled getting up off the ground. "But, I think you are a pretty good singer."

"Me? A good singer? Nooo..."

"REALLY?!? I thought that was amazing! It actually made me want to ask you something..."

"Really, what is it?"

"Would you be willing to play the drums and sing with me in my final concert at the end of my stay?"

"Uh sure! Sounds fun. When were you planning on doing it?"

"Oh in a few months, when I've completed my study and ready to head to where the funk trolls live!"

"Gnarly..."

A couple more months went by, learning more and more about rock music even learning how to use a guitar as a weapon. It was only a couple weeks until Atlanta's final performance, and Barb wanted to speak to Atalanta. Walking into her room, Barb noticed she was sitting at her desk, barb leaned up against the door frame. Suddenly she spoke..

"So why exactly did you want to go off and learn other types of music?"

This startled Atalanta out of her concentration, looking over her books and maps, making sure she was prepared to find the funk trolls.

"Um, I just thought it was very intriguing and as far as I knew you could only ever learn to play and control your own type. So I wanted to defy all the odds and learn, plus I always really thought of music as a precious thing we had and if I learned all of them I could teach any type of troll. Even pop trolls, though most other trolls hate them..."

Barb then walked over to the desk that Atalanta was sitting at, closely looking as the map and the different sections.

"Man there's a lot of different types of trolls, all separated..."

" I know... maybe someday everyone will be together and happy again but still enjoying there separate music!"

Barb didn't exactly hear the last part...

"Well I'm beat, I think I'm gonna go to sleep." Atalanta yawned putting away her maps and books.

They both went to bed.

Only a week before the last concert, Atalanta was nervous beyond belief. She had never played anything other than techno for a large group of trolls. Now she was going to be singing and playing infront  of a whole other tribe! She continued writing her song, making sure to fix every little mistake she saw.

Noticing that in Barbs crew there was always her, Carol and Riff, she had learned there was always the lead guitarist the bass guitarist and the drummer. She already got Riff to play and sing with her, so she needed her bass to complete her crew. She knew exactly who to ask.

"What do you mean you won't do it?" Atalanta questioned, shocked her friend wouldn't help her.

"Sorry dude, I'm always the lead guitarist I don't like to be bass." Barb stated.

"Ugh fine I'll just ask someone else.."

Asking Barb to be a bass guitarist didn't really work out since she said that she would always be the lead guitarist. So that basically ruled her out, so Atalanta went to talk to Carol.

"So will you pleaseeee be my bass guitarist?" Atalanta near begged her. It wasn't a difficult part, Carol could probably learn it in a couple days.

"Sure dude." Carol lousily stated.

"Well... that was easier than I thought..."

Atalanta practiced as much as she could with the last week she had, this would be a great concert, she constantly told herself.

"Finally finished!" She declared holding up her song.

"Let's rock!"