22. What did I do wrong?

"Chin up, Wilder," Dad said, but I kept playing around my mashed potato with my fork. 

"It will be okay," He sat down in front of me with his plate, and I shrugged, not feeling like saying anything. 

"This will go up and down; that's normal," I frowned at his words. 

"There is nothing wrong with Nico and me. A girl on her team asked if she was dating someone because she saw her with someone, but luckily she didn't see who," I sighed, placing my fork on the plate in frustration. 

"It's been three weeks, and I haven't seen her," I said, and he nodded in understanding. 

"At least you can call and text her," He smiled, trying to cheer me up. 

"Yeah, I know, and we have, but,"

"It's not the same?" He interrupted me. 

"Yes," I sighed.

"Nico and I are very different," 

"You don't say," My dad laughed, and it made me frown at him. 

"It's been difficult to be apart for so long, but for Nico, it's been worse," I bite my lip, feeling the worry dig deep in my chest again. Dad tilted his head in question, not sure where I am going. 

"Are you worried she might not think you miss her as much as she does?" He wondered, and my eyes widened. 

"Yes, I think that is what she feels at times. I miss her, I do. But I'm not good to show how I feel at times, and Nico, she lays it all out there, you know," I said, and he nodded. 

"You should be more open to her; I know it's not easy for you, but I think Nico has been nothing but patient and kind. It's been nice with Nico around. She has pulled you out of your zone, but I think she deserves a bit more from you," He smiled sorry, and I rolled my eyes, even though I know he is not wrong. 

"Try and open up more, don't be so scared," He mocked me. 

"Well, I have to go and help grandad with that damn wolf again tonight," Dad huffed as he stood up.

"You will be okay tonight?" He wondered.

"Yeah, I will be fine," I smiled. At least I tried to.

Ever since I met Nico, everything around me has seemed boring. I can't watch a movie or a series without thinking about how she would react to surprises or cliffhangers. It's weird, but I can manage. I did it before without her, but I guess it's different once someone has made that crack in your life. I don't know; maybe I'm overthinking. 

I see my phone lighting up with Lynda calling me. 

"Hello?" I said, confused about why she would call me so late in the evening, but remember she was going to this party tonight, which I declined to. 

"Where are you?" She said, almost rudely. 

"I'm home," I answered, not sure why she is acting the way she is. 

"Well, you might want to come and pick up your girlfriend," She told me, and I sat up in bed. 

"She is not girlfriend yet," I shrugged to myself. 

"Oh my god, Wilder!" She shouted on the phone. I know what I did; she was rude to me, so why should I not be mean to her. 

"Why do I need to pick her up? Where are you?" I asked this time as I stumbled down the stairs. 

"I'm at the party, and Nico is here," She explained, and I stopped in my tracks. 

"And? I can't stop her from going out," I replied, and Lynda sighed loudly.