11 - Avery Blakm & Afterschool Tingz

As I'm sitting there in my seat, it's extremely awkward and uncomfortable because Avery and I have not said a single word to each other. I'm trying to weigh whether it would be better if I spoke first or refuse to acknowledge this jerk until he finally speaks.

We continue to sit in silence. I look up to see if Mrs. Ruberson is ready to end the icebreakers yet, but when I do - I immediately freeze.

Oh no. We made eye contact and now she's looking at directly both of us, who must be really easy to spot since we're the only ones not talking at all.

I start to sweat as I realize Mrs. Ruberson's gaze isn't going away. I take another peek at her to find that a smile is on her face. But this isn't a smile for students who do a good job, it's a warning that if I don't immediately open my mouth - she'll come over and ask us what's happening.

And so, I cry tears of sorrow in my head before turning towards Avery.

"Um, hey."

Wow, I could not sound more hesitant!

The brown-haired boy next to me slowly turns to look at me, and I see that he's surprised that I finally said something. Little does he know, I saved both of us. If I didn't open my mouth, we would probably be told off in front of the whole class and that is a big no-no.

Avery stares at me for a few seconds before looking forward again.

Haha, oh my god. What an A-class asshole. Is replying to me before you turn away like I never said anything too hard?

Oops, that would have been bad if I voiced those thoughts. I really need to calm down and try to continue this conversation - if you can even call it one.

Taking in a small breath, I frantically search my brain for anything I can say. I'm in full-on focusing right now, and when I look around the room, my eyes land on the whiteboard and I read what's on it.

Ice Breaker Suggestions!

- Ask for each other's names

- Discuss any similar classes

- Get to know one another!

When I finish reading them, a deadpan expression is on my face as I sit there - annoyed. Those sure are some excellent ideas to get to know someone - if both parties were strangers of course. What about someone you've already ticked off?

Okay, you know what - whatever. With only one brain cell left, there's nothing else I can think of. I'm so done with school already, please let six-period be smooth sailing after this very awkward conversation.

Facing Avery again, I stare at him until he notices my gaze and makes eye-contact with me. We stay like this for a few seconds before I finally speak up again.

"So...could you tell me your name?" I ask, forcing myself to maintain a neutral expression. However, looks like Avery can't do that because one of his brows slightly raises up, and he looks at me with both a confused and annoyed face.

I thought he would just ignore me again but the male lead in front of me finally talked. "You really didn't hear my name when the teacher said it in front of the class?" Avery replies, his tone having a hint of irritation in it.

My neutral expression almost falls, and I desperately fight against myself to maintain my composure. Come on, Y/n - you're better than him, don't start another fight for the love of everything.

"...Yeah - I didn't. I wasn't really focusing. Anyways, could you say your name?" Yes, good job Y/n. Keep it like this.

I can tell Avery almost lets out a sigh in front of me, but he quickly decides on not doing it. With a nonchalant voice, the love interest answers the question that I already know.